Fenmen refuse to get blown off course

March Town United (blue) vs Cambridge University Press
March Town United (blue) vs Cambridge University Press
Share this article

Hadleigh 0, Wisbech Town 3

THE winds could not knock the Fenman off course as they made it three Ridgeons League wins in a row and moved into sixth place in the table on Saturday.

It was another good all round performance from Steve Appleby’s team in the difficult conditions.

They enjoyed the wind advantage in the first half and Callum Reed forced a good a good save from the home keeper before Matt Lunn had a shot cleared.

Wisbech eventually took the lead after 32 minutes when the ball was played into Andy Furnell. The forward held it up well for the run of Scott Johnson who broke into the box only to be brought down. Simon Flanz made no mistake with a clinical penalty.

Soon after Furnell headed over and Reed went close again, hitting the woodwork with a cross into the box. In the second half Lea Jordan was forced into a very good save from a well struck effort from Hadleigh’s Jack Severy

But Wisbech continued to pass the ball well into the wind and on 59 minutes Johnson, enjoying his midfield role, again broke into the area and set up Furnell to make it 2-0.

Two minutes later Wisbech sewed up the three points with a very good piece of football.

Lewis Thompson swept the ball wide for Reed and then continued his run into the area to take the return pass and slot home a very good goal.

After that it was pretty comfortable for Wisbech and they brought on all three substitutes Tommy Treacher, Jon Fairweather and Ash Stevens with 15 minutes to go.

Appleby commented: “I was well pleased with that. We carried on from the performance at Cambridge in midweek.

“We had to work hard in the conditions but played some good football too and our third goal was the best piece of football of the season.”

Wisbech: Lea Jordan, Simon Flanz, Scott Johnson, Paul Cousins, Anthony Reeve, Callum Reed, Paul Jones, Lewis Thompson, Andy Furnell, Matt Lunn, Stacy Cartwright. Subs used: Ash Stevens, Tommy Treacher, Jon Fairweather.

n In midweek the Fenmen picked up a very good three points with a 1-0 league win against CRC at the Abbey Stadium.

The winner came six minutes from time with substitute Ash Stevens on target for this third goal in four games.

Manager Steve Appleby commented: “It was not one of best performances but it was almost a complete performance which was pleasing.

“We had to work hard, played some good football, showed commitment and defended well. We created plenty of chances and I have to admit at one time I thought it was going to be one of those days.

“I changed things round 20 minutes into the second half and brought on Ash Stevens and went 4-4-2. CRC made a change at the same time and the game opened up with chances at both ends. Fortunately Ash was on the spot to score the winner.”