Fenmen topple leaders with valuable victory

FOOTBALL - Mildenhall Town v Wisbech Town''Pictured: Alex Stead
FOOTBALL - Mildenhall Town v Wisbech Town''Pictured: Alex Stead

Mildenhall 0,

Wisbech Town 3

Wisbech took the most valuable three points of the season against the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division leaders who had won their last seven home games.

It was certainly a dramatic improvement on last season’s visit when Wisbech were reduced to playing with eight men and finished up losing 9-0 on a sloping pitch they had not won on since 2002.

But so much for history because Steve Appleby’s team thoroughly deserved the win this time and the delighted manager said: “It was a very big three points for us. We worked hard, played decent football and throughly deserved the win.

“We went up a gear in the second half. In the first half I felt we had left the game little bit too wide open and put the ball in the wrong areas

“I got into one or two at the break and with their system I had to get Matt Lunn to come in a bit and do the ugly stuff which he did superbly and scored a very good goal.

“In the end it was a magnificent performance. Everyone has played their part and we looked a very good side.”

It was important Wisbech got a good start and they did just that taking the lead after just five minutes.

Full back Scott Johnson let fly from 25 yards out and the Hall goalkeeper Josh Pope looked to have palmed the ball onto the bar but the touch was not strong enough and it dropped into the net.

Soon after Dubi Ogbonna had a shot parried by Pope as the Fenmen had the best of the early exchanges on a very slippery pitch and with the weather deteriorating as the game progressed.

Stacy Cartwright made an inch perfect tackle to rob Kris Thomas as he was about to shoot from 10 yards but as the play switched up to the other end Matt Lunn evaded a trip and then had his shot deflected for a corner.

Lea Jordan was forced to parry a shot from close range from Paul Jones while Appleby was screaming for his players to keep hold of the ball better.

Just before the break Ogbonna was booked for dissent after a touch and go offside decision had gone against him.

The goal apart there was little between the two sides in the first 45 minutes but it was Wisbech who definitely edged the second half.

Chris Bacon missed a good early chance when heading wide a Lunn cross and Ogbonna was then thwarted by the out coming goalkeeper.

But after 65 minutes Lunn once again showed how to take a chance without breaking stride, just as he had done against St Ives seven days earlier.

The tricky winger sped through two weak challenges before he slipped the ball past the advancing Pope with ease to make it 2-0.

If that was not enough to confirm the Fenmen’s superiority, five minutes later it was game over. Bacon raced from just over the halfway line with the ball and was clipped from behind by David Cooper and a penalty awarded.

Bacon was also at his calmest as, after his customary long run, he cheekily clipped the ball into the net with Pope guessing the wrong direction.

Mildenhall really did not have any response and looked a well beaten side on the day.

Appleby took off Ogbonna who was animated after a poor challenge on McGeorge, and in danger of a second yellow card and brought on Deakan Napier while young 16-year-old Jack Friend had seven minutes of action in place of Lunn.

Mildenhall may be top today, but you would not bet on them finishing above Wisbech on this showing.

Wisbech: Jordan, Spafford, Johnson, Cousins, Cartwright, Reid, Bacon, Millson, D Ogbonna, McGeorge, Lunn. Subs used: Napier, Gale, Friend.