Five-star show as Fenmen set for a relegation lifeline

Wisbech Town Reserves v Needingworth United Action 'Sam Darlow scoring the 1st goal'
Wisbech Town Reserves v Needingworth United Action 'Sam Darlow scoring the 1st goal'

WISBECH Town Reserves brushed aside bottom team Needingworth with a 5-0 win on Saturday in the Cambs Senior A and as a double bonus it appears they are safe from relegation anyway.

The Fenmen are still second from bottom in the table but it is almost certain there will be no relegation from the division at the end of the season with Premier side Newmarket Reserves withdrawing and three teams to be promoted.

Reserves boss Mark Jimson admitted: “I did hear about the relegation issue before Saturday’s game but did not want to tell the players. I felt this was a game we had to win and I really want us to finish the season clear of the relegation zone anyway and win our last two games.

“When I took over near the start of the season it was a real struggle to get a team out but I and Mel Mattless have kept building the squad and the lads have contributed really well in recent weeks after our position had looked hopeless.

“The form we have shown in the last two months has been more like a mid table team than a bottom side and that has come with a more settled squad.”

Sam Darlow gave Wisbech a first half lead on Saturday and then the other goals came from Simon Jones (penalty), Anthony Melton, Matt Fowler, and Ryan Howell.

Jimson added: “I always felt we dominated, but it was a long time before the second goal came after 65 minutes. Once that went in we hit another three goals.”

On next season Jimson said: “I would be happy to continue doing the job but if the club have someone in mind then I am just happy to help in any way I can.”

Wimblington, who also have had a good run in the last six weeks, drew 3-3 with Great Paxton on Saturday after leading 2-0 at half-time. Liam Fox and Matt Ridgway scored the goals and a third goal came early in the second half with an excellent move finished by Alan Setchell.

But with 30 minutes to go Great Paxton hit two quick goals and then equalised with five minutes to go.

Wimblington boss Dean Stacy said: “For 60 minutes we played very well with some excellent football and then poor defending saw us throw away three points and I am very disappointed.”