Fysh’s hat-trick haul fires Saints

WISBECH St Mary were the only local club to progress in the William Cockell Cup on Saturday with struggling Wisbech Town Reserves and Wimblington suffering home defeats.

Saints were bouncing back from their first Cambs League defeat of the season when comfortably beating Milton 4-0 with former Fenman Dan Fysh notching a hat-trick.

Fysh gave the village team a 1-0 lead at the break but they struggled to get things going after the break until the 70th minute before Fysh added two more quick goals and Chris Macaree came off the bench to add the fourth.

Manager Arran Duke said: “It was a good performance. We got a good response from the players and we moved the ball much better this week and in the last 20 minutes really found our rhythm.”

Wimblington boss Dean Stacy was really disappointed with the referee’s performance in his side’s 4-3 defeat against Girton.

His side put in a poor first half and trailed 3-0 at the break. But they came out all guns blazing in the second half with Paul Shafer, Liam Fox and Richard Parish scoring to put them level at 3-3.

Then in the last five minutes Girton were awarded a penalty for handball and scored the winner.

The decision did not go down well with Stacy: “It was never a penalty and was an awful decision,” he said. “It was a good performance in the second half and it was disappointing to lose in the way we did.”

Wisbech Town’s Simon Jones and Mark Jimson were busy all week recruiting players for Wisbech Town Reserves’ game to go ahead against Castle Camps and unfortunately they lost out 4-2.

They trailed 2-0 at one time, but goals from Matt Fowler and a Jones penalty drew them level but as they pressed for a third goal they were caught out by two further Castle Camp goals.

Chris Dear made a surprise return to action in the Fenmen team.

Chatteris Town also made an exit in the Premier Division Cup losing 4-1 at home to Great Shelford with Jake Batizovszky scoring the consolation goal.

March Town Reserves suffered a 6-2 defeat at Burwell Swifts in Division 1B with Andy Bryan and Rob Taylor scoring the goals. Gary White has now taken over running the team with Mark Hammond moving up to help coach the first team.

Chatteris Town Reserves lost 2-1 at Buckden.

Manea United made it five straight wins in Division 2B to lead the table after a 3-1 success at Tydd United.

Tydd took the lead, but player manager James Waters equalised before Kevin Goude, back at the club after a season with Long Sutton, put them in front at 2-1 with Dave Anguilla adding the third goal.

Waters said: “We thought we would struggle because we lost some of the better players but the lads have come in and done well. Josh Hutchinson has come from Sutton and is coping well, and with Kevin Goude up front we are hitting the goals.”

Doddington have also started the season well and recorded a fourth win by 3-0 at Bluntisham and are in third place. Gary Smith 2 and Matt Eggleton scored the goals.

March Rangers moved into fifth place with a 3-2 win against Godmanchester Reserves.

In the Lower Junior Cup Coldham United produce the shock of the day beating Division Three side Fordham 2-1.

Coldham took the lead after 30 minutes when Byron Brand crossed from the left and Kevin Smith showed some quick feet to slot home from close range.

Fordham equalised after the interval, but Coldham regained the lead when Eliott Vanhinsbergh put Ben Gallon through with an inch perfect pass to put Coldham into the next round.

Manager Brian Symonds was full of praise for his young side who he believes will only get better.

March Rangers Reserves also had a very good result to beat Estover Park 6-5 on penalties after the two sides were level at 2-2 after extra time.

Estover Park took an early 2-0 lead with long shots from Dan Smelhurst and Greg Kudyba. Park looked strong defensively before Rangers’ Sam Chapman scored and then with two minutes left Lester Smith equalised.

Despite chances for both teams there were no goals in extra time. Park’s Johnny Harnwell missed the decisive penalty and Rangers went through.