Goal-den gifts reflect Fenmen’s season

Wisbech Town 1, Wroxham 2

THE Fenmen’s run of six games unbeaten came to an end when they gifted the Ridgeons League champions two goals at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium last Tuesday night.

Appleby said: “I think that game pretty well sums up our season – so near but not quite there. We have had the better chances but have given them two goals and they have ground yet another win which is basically what they have been doing most of this season.

“We have given it a right go and have hit the woodwork three times and their keeper has made a wonder save from Denny Escorcio late on.

“I cannot knock our lads but I certainly was not happy with the referee. He has booked four of our players and three of them quite rightly but their Matt Daniels has battered three of our players and the referee has not even spoken to him.”

Appleby was certainly right about referee James Taylor from King’s Lynn who on this performance is the poorest official seen at the Fenland Stadium this season.

Wroxham could have taken the lead in the first minute when Ben Thompson saw his shot parried by Tom Roberts and then Ross Durant headed across the face of the goal.

Wisbech also went close after six minutes with Neal Spafford heading against the crossbar from a Scott Johnson corner.

The visitors did take the lead after 13 minutes when there appeared no danger as Paul Cousins shepherded the ball back to Roberts but the keeper tried to fly kick clear and missed the ball completely leaving Paul Cook to shoot into an empty net.

There were shouts for a Wisbech penalty when Spafford’s shot hit Josh Carus’s elbow but it was more ball to hand than anything.

After 35 minutes Lunn hit the post from 12 yards but Wisbech did get level three minutes later when Spafford shot across the face of the goal and Chris Bacon came in to divert the ball into the far corner of the net.

However the Wisbech joy was shortlived when the Fenmen allowed Daniels to run 25 yards with the ball without a serious challenge before hitting a low shot past Roberts into the net.

The second half was not so fluent for either side, but it was Wisbech who had the best goal opportunities.

Escorcio came on for Lunn on the hour and Paul Cousins, who was booked for words to the referee, was also replaced by Ollie Pinner. Three more bookings for Wisbech followed with Cartwright, Reid and Johnson receiving yellow cards for fouls.

With 15 minutes to go Escorcio snapped up a Spafford cross and his well struck shot produced a very good one-hand save from the Wroxham keeper and soon after the same player was again denied by the goalkeeper as Wisbech just could not conjure up that equaliser.

Wisbech: Tom Roberts, Jon Fairweather, Scott Johnson, Paul Cousins, Stacy Cartwright, Adam Millson, Neal Spafford, Steven Reid, Chris Bacon, Matt Lunn, Ollie Gale. Subs used: Denny Escorcio, Ollie Pinner, Lewis Thompson.