Good start for Saints

WISBECH St Mary picked up their first Cambs League Premier Division victory with a 2-0 win at Over Sports on Saturday.

They took the lead after 20 minutes when Joe Woods’ shot was parried by the goalkeeper and Mark Newton fed the loose ball for Stuart Brown to score.

Almost on the stroke of half-time a Ricky Gunns shot from 25 yards found the bottom corner of the net to make Arran Duke’s half-time talk even easier.

There were no further goals with chances missed at both ends but four points from two games is a good start for the Purple in their first season in the top flight.

Duke commented: “We had six players missing from our first game but the lads who came in including two from the under 18 team have all done well. We have not had the easiest starts to the season against last season’s runners up Lakenheath and now Over Sports who finished fourth last season. To have four points is a very good start.”

In the midweek game against Lakenheath Purples hit the woodwork twice before Mark Newton scored on his debut after 35 minutes just beating the oncoming goalkeeper to the ball before slotting home.

The second half was very even and Lakenheath scored from a corner early on, but in the end a draw was a fair result.

Chatteris Town have started the season with two defeats but there were still some positives in those games after losing their manager Ossie Mintus and also five players to March Town.

They lost 3-2 at West Street in midweek to the 2011-12 champions Linton Granta and were beaten by Great Shelford 5-2 on Saturday.

The Lilies took a 2-0 lead through Alex Ashley and Scott Goodger against Linton, but the champions hit back to make it 2-2 at the break.

The Linton winner came on the hour but the Chatteris performance overall is very encouraging for Steve Bright and Leigh Matthews who have taken charge of the first team.

On Saturday Great Shelford had taken a 3-0 lead in the first 25 minutes and then the Lilies missed a penalty from Alex Ashley before the break.

It was 4-0 soon after the break but then Ashley found the target after a Richie Allen break to make it 4-1 and Will Mason, promoted from the A team, scored on his first team debut from a Scott Goodger cross to take the score to 4-2 only for the visitors to hit a fifth goal.

Bright said: “It did not help matters when three players dropped out two hours before the game but the lads gave 110 per cent against Great Shelford who looked very good. The real annoying thing was the sloppy goals we gave away and the missed chance in the first half which could have made it 3-3.

“We also played really well in the game against Linton and hopefully we can bring in some new players before our next game with former Soham and Wisbech player Simon Flanz and former March player Stuart Warby.”

Outwell Swifts got their season off to a good start in midweek in Senior B with a 2-1 win at Littleport Reserves. Jake Ogden and substitute Joel Mattless scored the goals.