Great Scott boosts Drove

PARSON Drove finally had their first win of the season in the Peterborough Premier Division with a 3-1 victory over Whittlesey United on Saturday.

James McManus gave them a half-time lead with a free kick into the corner of the net but it was brother Scott who was the star of the show.

After the break James Patrick missed a header, but fortunately the ball dropped at his feet and he scored a second goal from five yards.

Manager’s son Stefan Markillie added a third Drove goal seven minutes from the end with Whittlesey scoring a penalty in the last minute to make it 3-1.

Manager Nick Markillie said: “We had the rub of the green for a change, but we were worthy winners in the end.

“Scott McManus went from being our worst player last week to being our best this week. They just could not handle him. But it was also a good all round performance and hopefully we have turned the corner.”

Leverington had defender Joe Green sent off in the second half of their 2-0 defeat at champions Ramsey Town.

Stuart Webb’s team started the game well enough and really should have had the result sewn up in the first half but for a host of missed chances.

Green was sent off for retaliating after a two-footed tackle from a Ramsey player and the home side scored five minutes later and added the second with four minutes to go.

Webb said: “We did not take our chances in the first half and then later in the game too. On another day Sam Cubberley would have had a hat-trick.

“Joe grabbed hold of one of their players after a two-footed tackle and got a straight red and their player only got a yellow. That really was the turning point when we were down to 10 men, but the lads never gave up.”

Long Sutton lost their manager Keven Cawthorn at the start of the week, but had a 7-6 win on penalties against AFC Louth on Saturday in the Lincs Junior Cup.

It finished 3-3 after 90 minutes with Long Sutton leading 1-0 with a Matt Radeloff goal, but the visitors made the most of a mix-up in the defence to equalise before the break.

Ryan Lennon made it 2-1 with a 20-yard volley but Louth hit back with two goals to lead 3-2 after 87 minutes.

Lawrence Brandon scored in the last minute to take the game to penalties.

And it was Brandon who had the final say again scoring the Magpies’ seventh penalty.

Binny Mackie, who has taken charge of the team, said: “I was encouraged by the performance and there is lot of potential. It was a good performance but really we should have won in the 90 minutes.”

Sutton Bridge figured in another high-scoring Division Two game, losing 5-4 at home to Ryhall United. Lee Still 2, Ben Partredge and Kurt Scott scored the goals.

Leverington Reserves lost 2-0 at home to Langtoft Reserves in Division Three, but Leverington A had a 3-2 win against Little Downham in the Cambs Lower Junior Cup with goals from Craig Jolly, Ryan Alexander and an own goal.

Guyhirn lost 4-3 at home to Longstanton in the same competition. Andreii Gabriel, Lee Benton and Przemek Wojtowicz were on target.