Injury struggles continue in dour draw

Fakenham 0, March 0

A dour goalless draw it might have been, but Hares boss Jamie Weston was just pleased to return home with a point as he continues to struggle to field a team.

With the Reserves involved in a cup semi-final, Weston could hardly raid their resources and, rather than improving, his injury list seems to be escalating.

The first half provided little goalmouth incident or chances as the two sides battled for supremacy.

The nearest March came to scoring was when Denny Escorcio shot just wide from a free kick while Lee Brooks, in the March goal, was rarely troubled.

After the break Fakenham enjoyed the better of the possession without a cutting edge near goal and two of the best chances fell to March debutant Isaac Bennett, who came on as substitute at the break.

He used his pace to good effect to conjure up two chances but his first delayed shot was blocked by a defender and then he looked to pass when he would have been better shooting himself.

There was a scare for March in the last minute when Brooks came off his line and cut down a home forward. He received a yellow card and, although Fakenham scored from the free kick, the goal was ruled out for offside.

Weston said: “It was a typical goalless draw. With so many players missing we were never too much of a threat going forward but we defended well enough.

“Isaac showed promised with his pace but just needs to get used to this grade of football.”

March: Lee Brooks, Joe Barnes, Ben Lemmon, Jordan Goult, Kyle Plumb, Grant Watson, Adam Cornell, Simon Bates, Denny Escorcio, Juliano de Menezes, Andy Bryan. Sub: Isaac Bennett.

March face Team Bury on Saturday with a home game against Fakenham again next Tuesday at the GER.

Weston is hopeful that Stu Anderson will be back and Ash Brand is 50-50 while Adam Sutton played an hour for the reserves at the weekend and could make the bench.

Marc Welcher is banned for Saturday while Lee Day may make the Fakenham game but Anthony Sanderson is ruled out for the season with his Achilles injury and Luke Pepper is still three weeks away from a return to action.