Jimson smashes quick-fire treble

DARREN Jimson scored a hat-trick in the first 13 minutes of Wisbech Town Reserves’ 6-3 William Coad Cup quarter-final win against Girton on Saturday.

The game had been due to have been played at the Tom Woods Beer Fenland Stadium but, when the pitch was declared unfit on Saturday morning, it was switched to Girton.

After the Jimson onslaught, the home side hit back to make it 3-1 before the break but the Fenmen, who also included first team skipper Paul Cousins, were soon in charge again in the second half.

Aaron Turner scored twice including one from the penalty spot when he was brought down and the goalkeeper was sent off. A Dan Fysh goal put them 6-1 ahead to book their passage to the semi finals.

Girton scored twice late on but never threatened to get back into the game.

Manager Darren Edey said: “We could have scored 10 more goals had we taken our chances but it was a good to start the new year with a win and to reach the last four.

“Promotion remains our main objective though as that would be a big benefit to the club.

“We were able to give three first teamers a game which was good, too, but Billy Smith missed out. He was due to play but when the game was called off at our place he went into work and it was too late when it was rearranged at Girton.

March Town Reserves ended 2010 with a first defeat under manager Phil White and 2011 did not start any better when they lost 3-2 at Fenstanton in Division 1B.

The home side took the lead after 20 minutes but Greg Hoffman tapped in an equaliser from a corner two minutes before the break.

Lee White headed home a cross to put them 2-1 in front after 75 minutes but two goals gave Fenstanton a 3-2 win.

Manager White said: “I have no complaints with the result and just hope the game sets us up for next week’s cup game.”

Outwell Swifts lost 4-1 to Cambridge City Reserves in Senior B after leading 1-0 at the break with a James Day goal.

But in the second half fitness told on the Swifts who were up against a young Cambridge side and they conceded four goals.

Manager Paul Brenchley said: “It was a big improvement on how we played earlier in the season but fitness told in the end.”

Wisbech St Mary made it four wins in a row with a 4-2 success against Melbourn in the same division.

It was Melbourn who started the better but Saints took the lead after 16 minutes when Joe Whybourn finished a solo run by slotting the ball past the keeper.

Eight minutes later Marley Coe scored his first goal for the team when he headed home from a Michael Chow corner and Whybourn added his second goal after good work by Dean Jimson to make it 3-0.

Melbourn did pull a goal back but on the stroke of half-time Chris Macaree found the top corner with a left foot shot.

Melbourn scored a second goal early in the second half but there were no further goals as Saints continue to make up for a poor start to the season.

Darren Hurst commented: “It was a good result against a good team and you have to be happy with a win after a long break.

“Jack Mockford did well for us in midfield and young goalkeeper Shane Sleath is gaining in confidence all the time.

“Former King’s Lynn skipper Mark Warren is helping with the coaching. He has been a big help and may play for us too.”

There were no goals in the Division 2B derby game between Doddington and March Rangers, while Manea United crashed 5-1 at Burwell Swifts.

Chatteris Town Reserves however had a 4-2 win at Sutton United to move above Rangers into third place and keep their promotion hopes alive. Tony Brown and James Harness both scored twice.

There were John Ablett Cup wins for Estover Park and Tydd United.

Estover won 5-2 at Great Paxton Reserves. The home side were 2-0 up at the break but Estover managed to claw the game back in the second half with goals from Grzegorz Kudyba 2, Mariusz Kudyba, Shane Knight and Daniel Bbalding.

Tydd triumphed 2-1 at West Row Gunners Reserves with Corey Barker netting twice.

West Row took a deserved lead early on and later they had the ball in the back of the net again but the referee ruled the goal out without a linesman. Tydd gradually got themselves in the game and Barker came up with the goals.

Wisbech St Mary remain in second place in Division 4B after a 2-1 victory over Burwell Swifts Reserves. Joe Woods and Martin Wright scored the goals.

Murrow Bell lost 7-1 at home to Gransden and Wisbech Fen Stars lost 2-0 at Milton A.

Benwick Athletic dropped to fourth place in Division 5D with a 5-2 home defeat against new leaders Wisbech St Mary B.

Coldham, who had a 2-1 win at Wimblington A, are second. Sam Collins put Wimblington ahead in the first half but Coldham were 2-1 up at the break with goals from Josh Bothamley and Lewis Greening.

Third placed March Rangers Reserves won 1-0 against Doddington Reserves with a Keith Harris goal.

Estover Park Reserves had a 3-0 win away to Walsoken. Karl Summersgill headed in the first goal and then scored with a well taken penalty. Good wing play by Joe Davis led to a Steven Coe shot that was parried by the keeper and Ray Oakley tucked the rebound away.

Walsoken’s Ivan Crisp forced a great save from Park keeper Tommy Neal to keep a clean sheet.

l Estover Park footballer Mark Bowkis and March Rangers’ Wayne Readhead have been banned for three matches by the Cambs Football Association.

They were sent off in the league game between the two sides for attempting to strike another player.

March Town Reserves player Gary White was banned at the weekend for picking up two cautions in the match against St Ives Rangers.