Last minute equaliser leaves Chatteris still seeking victory

WISBECH St Mary suffered their first Cambs League Premier Division loss with a 1-0 defeat at home to Foxton.

Saints conceded a penalty midway through the first half but Arran Duke described it as a “lacklustre performance” from his side.

“We never really clicked on the day and did not create enough but having said that they were the best team we have played so far and we defended well.”

But Duke’s side still remain in third place in the table after they enjoyed a very good 3-1 win at Ely City Reserves in midweek with Mark Newton continuing his good start for the club with two goals and Arran McKenna also on target.

Duke added: “That was in complete contrast to Saturday. We got an early goal and played very well.”

Chatteris Town were desperately unlucky not to pull off their first victory of the season when a goal in the last minute left them with a 1-1 draw against Cottenham on Saturday.

The Lilies had picked up their first point of the season with a 4-4 home draw against Brampton in midweek despite having Simon Howard sent off for a foul as last man. The goals came from Richie Allen, Alex Ashley, Dean Joyce and own goal.

Jack Saunders had a very good game that night but unfortunately he joined the mass exodus of players to March Town after the game although there was no seven-day approach.

On Saturday the Lilies had the perfect start with a goal inside 10 seconds from the kick-off. Andy Moye’s diagonal ball found Richie Allen and he pulled the ball back from the byeline for Scott Goodger to score.

Chatteris were on top in the first 25 minutes with Allen and Ben Matthews doing well up front but could not get that second goal.

They also started well in the second half and there were chances for Allen and Alex Ashley but Cottenham then snatched the equaliser in the 89th minute.

Co-manager Steve Bright said: “It was so disappointing because we led the game for nearly 90 minutes having scored our goal without them touching the ball. We just needed that second goal.

“It was a surprise to lose Jack Saunders and disappointing after they he played so well in midfield on Tuesday.

“We are still looking for that first win but the players have been tremendous. They have worked really hard in the games and shown they want to be at the club.

“Simon Flanz played his first game last Tuesday and did really well in defence when Simon Howard went off and hopefully Stuart Warby’s move from March will come through.”

An Ash Daplyn goal gave Wimblington a 1-1 draw in midweek against Hemingford in Senior A and then they led 2-0 at Cambridge City Reserves on Saturday only for the game to abandoned.

Liam Fox and Matt Ridgeway had scored the goal but then came the heavy down pour to halt the game. Manager Dean Stacy said: “We had really well to get in front and it was really disappointing .”

Outwell Swifts, after a win and a loss in their first two games, drew 2-2 with Bluntisham in Senior B on Saturday.

They started the game very brightly with player manager Mark Secker and James Parker pulling the strings in midfield and Secker scoring with a quickly taken free kick. Ten minutes later Secker scored his second with a well worked goal after great work from Tom Brazil and Jonny Secker.

In the second half Outwell ran out of steam and allowed two sloppy goals with Lee Barrett and keeper Danny Cook making the mistakes.

Secker said: “We started really well and dominated the game in the first half, but then we just got complacent and drew a game we should have won. We were missing six first team players and have a few back next week which is a plus. Damon Gunns had a good game at centre half and is already looking a great addition.”