Late show nets Drove a point

IT WAS honours even in the local Peterborough Premier Division derby between arch rivals Leverington and Parson Drove on Saturday.

But Drove left it until the last five minutes of a feisty game to rescue a point in the 2-2 draw. There were no goals in the first half when Drove may just fractionally have had the better of the game but Leverington took the lead after 50 minutes with a well struck shot from Craig Ablett beating Chris Horton as it hit the top corner.

Drove got back on terms with a good cross from Wes Boughen finding Jamie Muffett free at the far post to head home.

Leverington regained the lead when Dan Fysh’s shot was blocked and Nathan Watson was on hand to find the net.

It did look as through the points were going Leverington’s way when substitute Sam Kilby scored from six yards out to leave it all square.

Drove boss Nick Markillie said: “When you score in the last five minutes to draw I suppose you have to be happy. I think a draw was a fair result but if anyone did deserve to win it was perhaps us.”

Leverington’s Stu Webb said: “We had a young side out and it was the first time some had played in a typical physical derby like this but they acquitted themselves well and will learn from it.

“When you are leading with five minutes left you have to be disappointed you do not win the game but a draw was the fair result.”

Long Sutton were held to a goalless draw in Division One against Peterborough Inter after three successive wins.

In Division Two a goal from Lee Benton was enough for Guyhirn to claim the three points against Woodston by 1-0.

Sutton Bridge were 5-1 winners against Castor with Lee Still 2, Nick Reims 2 and Jake Lally on target.

Leverington Sports Reserves continued their good run with a 2-1 win over Deeping A with Anthony Hunt and Sam Fabela hitting the goals

In Division Three Long Sutton Reserves lost 4-2 at Peterborough Parkway.

Division Five: Leverington A 0, Warboys Res 0; Thorney Res 3, Sutton Bridge Res 1.