Lee-thal finishing seals final place

LEE White hit two first half goals to book March Town Reserves’ place in the Junior Challenge Cup final with a 2-0 win against Great Chilston at the GER on Saturday.

White, who left the club for a spell at Chatteris Town earlier in the season, was in top form in this semi-final.

There may have been an element of luck about his first goal but his second was fantastic and March thoroughly deserved their place in the final.

Manager Phil White said: “It was a good all round performance but quite honestly Lee was the difference between the two sides in the end.”

Another player to make a big impact on Saturday was Stuart Cobb who scored the late winner on his return to Wisbech Town in the reserves’ 3-2 win at Castle Camps in Cambs League’s Senior A.

Cobb left the club for Parson Drove before Christmas but was finding the draw of the Fenmen too much and returned during the week.

Wisbech found things difficult on a smaller pitch against a physical team but Sam Murphy gave them the lead after 10 minutes with a shot from 25 yards. But the home side equalised from a cross a minute before the break.

Castle Camps took the lead 10 minutes into the second half with a header but Murphy volleyed home the equaliser with 15 minutes left.

Aaron McKenna then hit the post and Cobb was on hand to score the winner in injury time.

Manager Darren Edey commented: “It is a hard place to go to and you have to win matches like this to achieve anything.

“It was good to have Cobby back and he worked hard as usual and came up with the winner. Promotion remains the target and the win keeps on the trail.”

Wimblington lost 6-1 at Milton.

Chatteris Town boss Jimmy Unwin admitted he would have been happy with a point before his side’s Premier Division encounter at Littleport, but in the end was disappointed with a 0-0 draw.

Unwin said: “We had a lot of possession and on another day Richie Allen might have a had hat-trick but Ben Collett also made two good saves.

Unwin brought in youngsters Gareth Smith, Steve Turnbull and Lee Barnett to the squad and was well pleased with their efforts.

Not so happy were Wisbech St Mary whose recent good run ended with a 4-3 defeat against Melbourne in Senior B.

They trailed 2-1 at half-time with Jon Secker scoring their gaol with a cross cum shot.

They pushed forward after the break but were caught on the break by Melbourne who took a 3-1 lead.

Stuart Brown then made it 3-2 from a Darren Rawthorne free kick but the Saints were caught on the break again for 4-2.

Saints replied when Chris Macaree scored from the penalty spot after Ricky Bowden was brought down. Macaree wasted a good chance to equalise but it was just not their day.

Secker commented: “It was a poor performance after our recent wins.”

Outwell Swifts are third from bottom after a 5-0 defeat at Saffron Crocus.

Chatteris Town Reserves still lead Division 2B after a 4-2 win at Godmanchester Reserves.

Doddington continue to improve and are now in fifth place after a very good 2-0 win against third placed Burwell Swifts. John Gipson and Sean Norris scored the goals.

March Rangers lost ground on the top five when they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Sutton United, while Manea drew 1-1 with second placed Witchford 96.

Tydd United lost for the second time in as many weeks in Division 3B, going down 1-0 at Exning.

Exning took the lead early on, but Tydd responded well and were unfortunate not to be level at half-time,

In the second half Tydd created attack after attack and kept the opposition pinned in their half and with with eight minutes left their task became even harder when Luke Retchless was dismissed.

Estover Park drew 2-2 with league leaders Isleham.

Isleham took an early first half lead but estoiver hit back with goals through Tommy Neal and Mariusz Kudyba. However Isleham managed to get an equaliser late into the second half to force a 2-2 draw.

In Division 4B Sam Kilby scored four goals in Murrow Bell’s 6-2 win at Chatteris Town A. Sean Harris and David Orr were also on target.

Estover Park Reserves were beaten 4-1 by Wimblington A in Division 5D. Karl Summersgill scored from the penalty spot for Estover and the Wimblington scorers were Sam Kavanaugh, Anton Kaval, Chris Blake and Chris Brandon.

Colham United stay in touch with the leaders after beating Chatteris Fen Tigers 4-3. Their goals came from Sam Bothamley, Lewis Greening, new signing 16-year-old Ben Gallen and Eliott Vanhinbergh. Tigers did score towards the end, but Coldham held out.