Leverington four-some in win run

Leverington made it four successive wins with a 3-0 home victory over Peterborough Premier Division title hopefuls Ramsey Town.

It was only last month that last season’s champions Ramsey had inflicted a 2-0 defeat on Leverington when Joe Green was sent off but Stu Webb’s side responded in style this time.

Leverington started the game well and deservedly took the lead after 15 minutes when Nathan Watson’s free kick took the slightest deflection off a defender to enter the net.

The home side, with Steve Thompson marshalling the defence well, really should have increased that lead in the first 45 minutes but it still remained 1-0 at the break.

They lost Watson with a hamstring injury at the break and he was replaced by Mark Jimson, who was without a game at Wisbech Town.

Ramsey put the home defence under pressure for the first 15 minutes of the second half but the home side broke with Gav Hill passing for Craig Ablett to take one touch before unleashing a shot from 20 yards into the roof of the net.

That goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Ramsey and, with the experience of Jimson and Thompson, Leverington always looked comfortable and then four minutes from the end Aaron McKenna did well before finding the hard-working Darren Rawthorne to fire home a third goal.

Webb commented: “It was our best performance of the season with everyone playing their part. We lost Chris Dear with a groin injury on Thursday so I had to play Thommo from the start and he had a very good game.

“Hopefully we can continue this run and really our sights are set on a top four or five finish this season so we will see what happens.”

Long Sutton were beaten 2-0 in the Lincs Junior Cup by Kirton Town.

James Laing had a glorious chance to put the Magpies ahead early on but missed with a header from three yards out and the home side soon took the lead.

A clumsy challenge by Lawrence Brando early in the second half led to a penalty for the home side to make it 2-0.

Manager Binny Mackie said: “It was a poor display and but for some good saves by our goalkeeper Jack Thorpe they would have had more goals. We never got going.”

Sutton Bridge had a very good 2-1 win against Whittlesey Blue Star in the PFA Challenge Cup with Dave Abbot and Lee Still scoring the goals.

Guyhirn managed four goals against Eye Reserves but still finished on the losing side by 8-4 in Division Two. Dave Morpeth 2 and Lee Benton scored the Guyhirn goals.

Long Sutton Reserves had a 4-1 victory against FC Inter Reserves in Division Three. Steve Robinson 2, Matt Bowers and Will Kirkham were on target.

A Wayne Wallis goal gave Leverington A a share of the points in a 1-1 draw with Parkway Eagles in Division Five.