Lilies show character to snatch late leveller

Chatteris Town Football Club - Training before the start of the season. Top goal scorer Richard Allen.
Chatteris Town Football Club - Training before the start of the season. Top goal scorer Richard Allen.

CHATTERIS Town showed dogged determination to pick up a valuable point against Waterbeach in 3-3 draw at West Street on Saturday.

The Lilies have now not won in 11 games but a defeat in this latest game would have been disastrous as Cottenham are just one point above and one place ahead in fourth from bottom in Cambs Premier Division, but at the end of the game skipper Stuart Porter was disappointed his young side had not collected all three points.

His disappointment came from the fact that Richie Allen had put the Lilies 2-0 up with goals in the first half and six minutes into the second period.

But then some poor defending allowed the visitors to hit back with a three goals in a 20-minute spell to turn the game on its head and lead 3-2.

Five minutes from the end Alex Ashley scored the Chatteris equaliser after some good pressure.

Porter said: “It was good to stop the rot after three defeats, but disappointing that we did not win after we had led 2-0 into the second half. But there were signs of improvement and we played some good football and created chances.

“It is a young side and we did not defend well for their goals, but we showed good character to come back and get the equaliser near the end.”

Wisbech St Mary still lead the way in Senior A after a 2-0 win against Milton at home.

There were no goals in the first half of a very tight game although Saints always looked the better side.

Ricky Gunn, making his first start after a move from Tydd United, put Saints in front a minute into the second half and Thomas Westerman added a second goal with 10 minutes remaining.

Manager Arran Duke said: “It was a good all round performance against a good side who had beaten Sawston the previous week but I always felt we were the stronger side and deserved the win.”

Wisbech Town Reserves suffered a 5-0 defeat at Cherry Hinton while fellow strugglers Wimblington held out for a goalless draw against fourth from bottom Needingworth at home.

March Town Reserves suffered a second successive defeat by 4-0 at home to Hemingford Reserves and manager Phil White was none too complimentary about his side’s performance.

“We were rubbish and just did not perform so we got what we deserved. Things will have to change in the New Year,” said an unhappy White.

Chatteris Town Reserves were held to a disappointing goalless draw at Huntingdon RGE.

Division 2B leaders Manea United were held to a 1-1 draw by second placed Isleham in a top of the table clash.

Isleham took the lead inside the first few minutes when an injury to Richie Salisbury allowed the visitors to take advantage with a goal although there was a suspicion of handball in the controlling of the ball.

Kevin Goude scored the equaliser and Danny Waite, who had a good game, missed a good chance for the winner.

One plus for Manea was that Peter Kightley returned to action in midfield after a lengthy absence.

It was certainly a good result for third-placed Doddington, who closed the gap on the two top teams by beating Witchford 96 1-0, and are now six points behind Manea with three games in hand.

James Harness came up with the winner 15 minutes from time and manager Jock Bedford said: “They defended well but I thought we deserved the three points.”

Jack Mockford scored twice in Wisbech St Mary Reserves’ 3-1 win against St Ives Town Reserves and March Rangers drew 2-2 at four placed Sutton United.

Estover Park gained a valuable three points in Division 3B by beating Stretham Hotspur 5-3, while WSM A lost ground on the top two teams by drawing 2-2 with Little Downham Swifts.

Benwick continue at the head of affairs in Division 4B after a 3-2 win at Willingham Wolves. The goals came from Stuart Cole, Matt Grainger and sub Aiden Rouse.

Chatteris A retained third spot courtesy of a 2-0 home win against Cottenham A.

In Division 5D Coldham United had a narrow 1-0 win over WSM C to complete the double over them and move above them into second place.

Coldham enjoyed most of the early pressure and a corner from Kevin found Jeff Elsey to score with a header.

In the second half both teams went close, but Coldham held out and have now overtaken them in the league.

Manager Brian Symonds said: “I am pleased with how the first half of the season has gone and hope in the second part of the season we will push on and improve even more.”

Northend’s Martin Pettit was left seething after a 5-3 defeat against Manea Reserves.

He felt Northend were robbed after the referee failed to send off two Manea players in the first 20 minutes for an alleged elbow into Jason Elliot’s face and then a two-footed tackle on Louie Eryes.

Northend trailed 4-1 at the break but did better in the second half to pull back the game 5-3 with Lyndon Woods scoring all three Northend goals.

Pettit said: “By far the poorest refereeing ever.”

Division 5D: March Rangers Res 3, Estover Park Res 2, Mepal Res 1, Chatteris Fen Tigers 3, Outwell Swifts Res 3, Upwell 0; Walsoken 3, Wimblington A 1.