Majestic Morton helps Saints go marching on

Wisbech Town Res v Wisbech St Mary action from Elgoods Stadium in the William Coad Cup '
Wisbech Town Res v Wisbech St Mary action from Elgoods Stadium in the William Coad Cup '

WISBECH St Mary booked their place in the William Coad Cup final courtesy of a special goal from Wayne Morton with a 2-1 win over the holders Wisbech Town Reserves at the Fenland Stadium on Saturday.

The two sides had met only seven days earlier in a Cambs Senior A game with a similar result but this time it was a much closer affair with very little between the two sides.

The Fenmen took the lead in the 70th minute with a Max Mattless header but minutes later Saints were back level when former Fenman Stu Ablett struck a superb goal.

The home side were a depleted side from the one that had won 5-2 in midweek against Girton, and Mark Jimson was forced to play striker Danny Emmington in goal and he gave a very good display.

But 10 minutes from time Emmington had no chance of stopping another former Fenman Wayne Morton whose 30-yard shot flew in for the winner.

Saints boss Arran Duke said: “Wisbech worked hard and their goal gave us more urgency and we came up with two super goals to take the lead.

“Jack Mockford worked tirelessly up front and Stu Ablett and Stuart Brown were strong at the heart of the defence.

“All in all it was a good win for us with the results in the league going our way too.”

Town’s Mel Mattless said: “We played well and a draw may have been a fairer result. They just had that bit more class.

“Danny played well in goal and some say that may be his best position, but we missed him on the pitch. Good luck to Wisbech St Mary and I hope they can win the cup.”

Chatteris Town manager Julian Young was a little disappointed to come away from Brampton with only one point from the 1-1 draw in the Premier Division.

Young believed his side had far the better chances to have won the game with the Brampton keeper pulling off four good saves to deny his team a winner.

The home side took the lead 15 minutes into the second half but three minutes later Richie Allen was on target with the equaliser.

Earlier Jack Saunders and Alex Ashley had good chances while Tony Brown was adjudged offside when scoring after a free kick.

Young said: “We created the chances this week but unfortunately did not take them but we must have had four or five gilt edged ones. But I am still happy enough to come away with the point.”

Wimblington kept clear of the bottom three in Senior A with a 0-0 draw at Girton United.

March Town Reserves came out top in the bottom of the table clash in Division 1B with a 2-1 victory over Cottenham Reserves.

March goals came from Vince Edwards and Jermaine Watson. The three points certainly give Phil White’s side renewed hope about avoiding relegation.

Chatteris Town Reserves, one place above March at the foot of the table, however made it two successive wins by beating Burwell Swifts 3-2 at home.

Manea United’s title hopes in Division 2B took a real setback with a 1-0 defeat against second placed Witchford and the gap at the top is now down to four points but Witchford do have two games in hand.

James Waters said: “Witchford were the better side in the first half and got their goal with a long throw. We had a lot of possession in the second half but were not at our best in the final third.”

Doddington also closed the gap to four points on Manea with two games in hand following a 1-0 win over fourth-placed Godmanchester Rovers Reserves.

But manager Steve Bedford said: “We really should have had seven or eight goals and even missed a penalty.”

The winning goal came after 15 minutes when Gary Smith’s shot hit a post and James Harness reacted quickly to put the loose ball into the net. Doddington then had a series of opportunities to put the game to bed, even a spot kick which George Masterton blazed high over the crossbar.

Bedford said: “It was a good performance from us. We played some very good football but just did not put our chances away. But it is another three points and if we win our games we will win the title.”

Doddington have games against Manea and Witchford to come.

Estover Park were disappointed to finish 2-2 with Exning in Division 3B after leading 2-0 for 88 minutes.

Greg Kudyba set up both goals for Stevie Johnson and Tommy Neal. Park took their foot off the gas and two headed goals gave Exning a share of the points.

In Division 5D Upwell moved off the bottom with a convincing 2-0 win against Walsoken.

Upwell scored just before half-time with a goal from Jack Gaunt and a second goal came from a penalty by Sam Thorpe.

Northend put a big dent into Chatteris Fen Tigers’ title hopes by beating them 4-2 with Lyndon Woods hitting a hat-trick and a goal from Richard Hunt.

Northend sub Warren Laver was sent off for a second yellow card late in the game with Tigers scoring from the penalty spot.