March move a step closer to taking the title


March Rangers 3,

Priory Parkside 2

IN their most competitive game of the season, Rangers beat Parkside and took a step closer to winning the league title.

Rangers went ahead in the 20th minute when substitute Ben Calvert scored with just his second touch of the ball.

Moments later Calvert hit a free kick from 35 yards out to leave the keeper standing as the ball hit the back of the net putting Rangers 2-0 up at the break.

Parkside never gave up and pulled one back from a free kick. Bryn Thomas, brought on as a substitute for Rangers in the second half, made it 3-1 when superb team work gave him a tap-in from six yards out.

Parkside got a second when a well struck shot smashed the bar only to rebound in off the Rangers’ keeper.

An awesome midfield performance from Lewis Welcher and a goal-line clearance and tireless effort from Rangers captain Jacob Birt earned both man-of-the-match awards and sealed the win.

Hungate Rovers 0,

Docking Devils 2

AFTER winning the league the week before, Hungate put in a very below-par performance against a determined Docking team.

Missed chances in the first half from Rovers saw the sides level at the break, but Docking kept working hard in the second half and scored two late goals for a deserved win.

Man-of-the-match: Samuel Young.

Chatteris Town White 3, Fulbourn Falcons 1

AFTER suffering a 2-0 defeat to Haverhill the previous week, Chatteris needed to get back to winning ways to stay in the title race – but it was Fulbourn Falcons who scored after five minutes following a solo run from a visiting attacker.

Just before half time Samuel Dew and Luke Bailey combined well for Luke to smash his shot past the keeper.

In the second half, Cameron Sharp delivered a superb long pass to Samuel Dew at the far post who had a simple tap-in. The third goal came courtesy of Asa Revell whose corner ball came back out to him and he cracked home a low shot.

Team: Alex Lowe, Luke Bailey, Cameron Sharp, Samuel Dew, Thomas Corlito, Adam Reditt, Asa Revell, Matthew Lilley, Mitchell Morse, Dale Browne, John Day, Ivo and Matthijs Nooteboom.

Chatteris Town White 0, Haverhill Rovers White 2

THE recent pressure on Chatteris told as they lost to Haverhill following two first half goals from diagonal passes to the far post, tapped in and headed in without any resistance.

The second half got increasingly volatile, as Haverhill pressed for more goals and Chatteris wanted to come back, resulting in a yellow and a red card for Haverhill and two yellow cards for Chatteris.


Heacham 3, Estover Park 1

HEACHAM took the lead when Estover failed to play to the whistle when the goalscorer appeared to handle the ball.

The equaliser came when Brandon Pearce broke from defence to play a pass into the feet of Ben Butterworth who made no mistake when through on goal to level before half time.

Butterworth had a good penalty shout ignored and Kieran Kirby saw a shot bounce a foot wide of the post. Heacham edged the win when a speculative punt down the field dropped just under the crossbar.

It was still a good performance from the March team with everyone playing well despite absentees.

Keeper Patrick Allington was man-of-the-match with a confident display showing continued improvement in his new role.


Hungate Greens 4, Terrington 1

GREENS played their last home game of the season on Saturday and maintained their record of winning every league game when running out 4-1 winners.

An even game saw the visitors go ahead only for Aaron Buckley to equalise within a minute.

Greens needed a strong performance from Thomas Skuse in defence and some great saves from man-of-the-match Alex Bishop to keep Terrington at bay.

However, Travis Stappleton, Lewis Jackson and the impressive Lewis Forth wrapped up the points for the league winners.

Hungate Whites 1, March A 1

IN this good competitive game of football from both sides, Hungate Whites scored first through Freddie Collison, but unfortunately they couldn’t quite capitalise on the goal and March pulled one back.

It was a hard decision for man-of-the-match as all played well, but Thomas Barlow takes it for his determination to help out the defence.


Holbeach 1, Wisbech St Mary 0

SAINTS went into this game knowing they had just clinched the title with four games remaining.

They started well and should have been two goals up before the break, Willis Wright missing the best chance.

The second half was much the same, but Holbeach looked the stronger and scored with a good free-kick to win the game.

Team manager Simon Wright said: “I’m proud of the lads this season and now we have Holbeach in the cup final so it will be a great game. We created several chances and on another day it could have been 1-6, but that’s football.”

Man of the match: Luke Hemsley (solid).

March Soccer School 0, Holbeach 2

MARCH played their part in a good game of football against a good passing Holbeach team.

March created chances, but were unable to convert them and March keeper Ozzy Lane pulled off some excellent saves.