Markillie’s ref rage after Drove defeat

Share this article

PARSON Drove manager Nick Markillie did well to control his emotions after his side lost 4-1 to Netherton in the Peterborough Premier Division on Saturday.

Markillie was not too disappointed with his team’s performance but more with the way referee Alan Mutton carried out his duties.

Drove led 1-0 with a James Patrick goal, but then lost the influential Scott McManus to a red card for abuse to the referee.

McManus had raced clear of the home defence when his feet were clipped from behind, but referee Mutton did not show a red card to the Netherton player but did show one to the Parson Drove player when his protest went over the top.

Netherton missed a penalty to equalise when Wayne Ashbury blocked the spot kick and defender Richard Harnwell won the loose ball.

Drove held their lead to the break, but Netherton scored two goals early in the second half and then as Drove pushed for an equaliser they were hit again.

A fourth Netherton goal seemed a little harsh on Drove who had fought bravely with 10 men but ran out of steam towards the end.

Mutton is one of the more experienced referees but some of his decisions were difficult to understand. He booked two Drove players in quick succession for fouls but when a Netherton player committed a similar offence he called over their captain and spoke to him and the player but did not show any card.

Markillie said: “We played well in the first half and scored a good goal. They should have had a player sent off, but we get Scott sent off because the referee did not do his job.

“It was not a dirty game but we had four bookings and it is hard enough to get players to turn out each week without referees making it so expensive for them too.”

Leverington also went down 2-0 at Deeping Reserves and manager Stu Webb said: “It was a very disappointing performance and we gave away both goals with horrendous errors that really should appear on a Christmas dvd.”

Deeping took the lead inside 30 seconds when keeper Adam Wright and Marti Ryan were at fault and the second goal came on 30 minutes when Leverington had three or four chances to clear the ball before the home player was left with a simple tap in.

Webb added: “We seem to take one step forward and then three back. Lee Markillie put in a very good performance and Craig Ablett also did well at right back but they were the only two worthy of mention.”

Long Sutton ran out of steam after leading 2-0 against Moulton Harrow Reserves and finished with just a point in a 2-2 draw in Division One.

Harrow lost a player after 25 minutes when he was red carded for a head butt which split Matt Radeloff’s nose.

Stuart Easey gave the Magpies the lead five minutes later from the penalty spot after a push in the box.

Ryan Lennon made it 2-0 when he cut in from the right and let fly with a left foot shot into the corner of the net.

Harrox pulled a goal back with 10 minutes to go and then came the equaliser from a free kick.

Manager Binny Mackie said: “It was disappointing to only draw after being 2-0 up, but it was a good performance. Our lack of fitness after the holiday break cost us in the end.”

Leverington Sports Reserves are through to the next round of the Cambs Junior Cup after their opposition Whittlesford were ruled out after playing an ineligible player in the previous round.

Guyhirn shared the points with Gedney Hill in a 2-2 draw in Division Two. Aaron Percel and Yuriy Batyuk scored the goals.

It was not a good day for Sutton Bridge. The first team lost 6-1 to Pinchbeck Reserves and the second team went down to the same score against Farcet Reserves. Jake and Kieren Lally scored the goals.

Long Sutton Reserves were beaten 4-2 by Alconbury Reserves in Division Three with Sam Cooper and Steve Robinson on target. Leverington A were beaten 2-1 at home to Thorney Reserves in Division Five with Paul Brown scoring the goal.