McKenna repeats Rooney heroics to net final spot

Share this article

WISBECH Town Reserves player Arron McKenna produced a Wayne Rooney overhead kick to put his side through to their first final in five years in the William Coad Cup at the Tom Woods Beers Fenland Stadium on Saturday.

The winning goal came just four minutes from time against Linton Granta who had seven days earlier inflicted a rare defeat on the Fenmen.

Simon Jones did well to get in a cross and McKenna, with his back to goal, went for the spectacular finish and find the net just as Rooney did at Old Trafford in the big Manchester derby.

Wisbech will now meet Soham Town Rangers Reserves in the final at Histon on Easter Monday. The teams have met twice in the league this season with a 5-1 home win for Wisbech and then a 4-4 draw at Soham.

Linton came close to taking the lead in the first half when Lewis Cook brought down a Linton forward but the spot kick struck the post.

Wisbech were good value for their 1-0 win with the Linton keeper much busier than Darren Hyde who hardly had a shot to save.

Manager Darren Edey missed the tie skiing, but Jon Knight said: “We battled a lot better than the previous week and deserved the win.

“The goal Arron scored was worthy of winning any game and was up there with Rooney’s.”

Wisbech are also in the semi-finals of the William Cockell Cup so have the chance to make it two finals this season but promotion from Senior A is the real priority.

One of their promotion rivals Brampton had a 5-1 win over Wimblington in Senior A.

Wimblington led in the first half with a Matt Eggleton goal but Brampton equalised before the break.

Brampton then stepped up a gear in the second half, hitting four more goals.

Wimblington boss Dean Stacey said: “We did well in the first 45 minutes but three individual errors have cost us.”

Chatteris recovered from the cup setback seven days earlier to inflict a 5-1 defeat on lowly Hundon in the Premier Division.

The Lilies soon showed they meant business on the muddy pitch and were 4-0 up in 27 minutes with Richie Allen and Tom Moden scoring two apiece.

Hundon pulled a goal back in the second half against the run of play but a Steven Reid header made it 5-1.

Manager Jimmy Unwin said: “We played some excellent football in the conditions and it was a pleasure to watch. They had two Haverhill first teamers in their team but we were too good for them.”

Wisbech St Mary manager Arron Duke switched the formation and things really paid off with the best performance of the season in a 7-0 win over Debden in Senior B.

Goals flowed in the first half with Chris Macaree hitting a hat-trick and Joe Whybourn and Michael Chow on target.

After the break Whybourn added a second and Jack Mockford completed a good all round team performance.

The two sides meet again this Saturday in the Percy Oldham Cup at Debden.

In Division 2B Doddington continued their good spell with a 4-3 win against Wisbech St Mary Reserves. George Masterson scored twice and James Ellis and Darren Goodwin were also on target. Thomas Diggines 2 and Dean Jimson scored for Saints.

Estover Park were back to winning ways in Division 3B with a 5-3 victory at Fordham with Steve Dickinson 2, Mariusz Kudyba, Daniel Smethurst and Jermaine Watson on target.

Tydd United enjoyed a 2-0 win at home to Ely Crusaders.

Ricky Gunns scored in the first half to put Tydd ahead, Corey Barker nearly doubled the lead but his effort was cleared off the line.

In the second half Tydd continued to press and eventually got a breakthrough after Ben Norman was dragged down by the Ely goalkeeper and the spot kick was awarded. Norman stepped up to make the game safe.

Wisbech St Mary A, who lead Division 4B, will be disappointed to drop two points at home to third placed Gransden. They now hold a four point advantage over Bar Hill who however have four games in hand.

Murrow Bell enjoyed a 1-0 win over Cottenham A to move out of the relegation zone but bottom club Wisbech Fen Stars lost 3-1 at home to Burwell and are left adrift in bottom place.

Coldham United had a very good 3-2 win against Walsoken in Division 5D and are now level on 36 points with leaders March Rangers who did not have a game.

Wisbech St Mary B won the penalty shoot out 5-3 against Willingham Wolves in their Reg Haigh & Arthur Peck Cup-tie after the two sides were level at 2-2 after extra time.

Manea Reserves also went through to the next round beating Waterbeach A 3-1.

Benwick lost 2-1 at Whittlesey Blue Star in the North Cambs Junior Cup.

Coldham Utd maintained their 100 per cent home record in Division 5D when they beat Wimblington A 3-2.

Lewis Greening got Coldham off to a good start with a well taken strike after five minutes, but Wimblington equalised on the half hour with a penalty.

The home side began the second half squandering chances, but restored their lead when Greening got his second and Kevin Smith extended Coldham’s lead with a low drive.

Wimblington got a late goal, but Coldham never looked in danger of losing.

Coldham manager Brian Symonds was pleased with the team’s performance which now puts them level at the top of the league with March Rangers.