Reserves aim for the same again in search of cup glory

WISBECH Town Reserves are making a determined bid to reach the William Coad Cup final for a second year running after a second round win against West Wratting Reserves.

The Fenmen’s second string have won just once in the league so far this season but put in a gutsy performance to beat the Senior B team 3-2 at the Fenland Stadium on Saturday.

They led 3-1 at half-time with two goals from Matt Fowler and an own goal.

West Wratting made it 3-2 10 minutes from the end but Wisbech held on well.

Mel Mattless commented: “It was a good performance against a side who had not lost this season. Anthony Melton was outstanding for us in midfield. We had a nervous last 10 minutes when they scored but the lads battled well to hold on.”

Wisbech won the final at the end of last season and will meet either Castle Camps or Cambridge City Reserves, who they meet this Saturday, in the quarter-finals at home in January. Wisbech St Mary meet Sawston in the last eight.

Chatteris Town have now gone eight games without a win following their 5-1 defeat at Hardwick in the Premier Division.

Wisbech St Mary left it until the last minute to secure the three points in Senior A with a 4-3 win at Hundon to maintain an eight-point lead at the top of the table.

Saints missed early chance and were then left trailing 1-0 but then goals from Dan Fysh and Chris Macacree gave them a 2-1 lead at the break.

But again the league leaders started the second half on the back foot as Hundon swept into a 3-2 lead.

With five minutes to go Joe Whyborn produced an equaliser and then Fysh found the net with the winner in the last minute of the game.

Saints boss Arran Duke said: “You could say it was robbery that we got three points in the end but we did miss some early chances too.

“We had Wayne Morton and Joe Gallagher missing but it is good to pick up three points when you do not play so well.”

Chatteris Town Reserves moved away from the bottom three with a 2-0 win over Somersham Town Reserves in Division 1B. Alex Ashley and Ross Alexander were on target.

Division 2B leaders Manea United were in action in the North Cambs Junior Cup and beat Peterborough League side Thorney 3-1 with goals from Kevin Goude 2 and Charles Huntinson.

They will also be pleased that second placed Isleham lost 3-0 at home in the league to Sutton and their lead stays at five points.

Wimblington Reserves had an incredible 12-2 win against Walsoken in the same competition. Richard Kaval and Sam Kavanagh both hit hat-tricks and Scott Butcher, Adi Whytock and James Slow were also on target.

Doddington also went through to the next round of the cup with a 7-0 win at Division 5D side Chatteris Fen Tigers. The goals came from Michael Anderton, Lee Barnett, Michael Croucher 2, George Masterton 2 and Gary Smith.

But Benwick went out 7-2 against Whittlesey Blue Star.

Matthew Bruce and Tom Denston scored as March Rangers drew their Division 2B game 2-2 with Bluntisham, but WSM Reserves lost 2-0 at home to Godmanchester Reserves.

In Division 3B, Estover Park were unlucky to go in at half time 3-0 down against Bar Hill, as Richard Peachey and Sam Wybourne had gone close with efforts.

Peachey then scored a penalty when Dan Smethurst was impeded on a cross. Further efforts fell to Park but two late goals in the last five minutes flattered league leaders Bar Hill for a 5-1 win.

WSM A were beaten 4-0 at West Row Gunners Reserves.

Chatteris Town A remain in fourth place after a 2-2 draw at home to Burwell Swifts Reserves in Division 4B.

WSM C, second in Division 5D suffered a surprise 7-2 defeat at Wimblington A who move into eighth place in the place.

Coldham lost out 5-1 against Division 3 side Stretham Hotspur in the Cambs Lower Junior Cup.

Lewis Greening scored in the first half to make it 1-1 but the home side hit four second half goals to win the tie.