Reserves in semi-finals

Peterborough League side Leverington Reserves reached the Cambs Junior Cup semi-finals with a thrilling 5-4 extra-time win over Bottisham Sports from Cambs League Division 1A.

Manager Shane Milner said: “It was a good team performance, a really good effort. We played better with ten men in extra-time, and the referee was good, to be fair to him.”

Leverington, who made last season’s North Cambs Cup final, scored in the first minute and were 2-1 up at half-time. They were cruising at 4-2 before two late goals including a disputed spot-kick sent the tie into extra-time.

Aiden Patrick was sent off for a second yellow card in the first period of extra-time, but two-goal hero Mariusz Kudyba grabbed the winner in the second period. Danny Paynter (2) and Tancsel Ibranim were also on target.

With the first team having no game, it was a good weekend for the club with the A side winning 4-3 over Sawtry Reserves (Michael Chow 2, Ryan Alexander and Wayne Wallis) in Division Five.

Mixed fortunes came for local sides in the Spalding Inter Service Cup. A Matthew Cawthorn hat-trick sent Long Sutton through 3-2 at Old Donington.

However, Sutton Bridge went down at Holbeach Reserves 2-0.

Parson Drove ground out a 0-0 Premier Division stalemate at Whittlesey United.

Manager Nick Markillie said: “It wasn’t one for the purists, a difficult relegation battle, but in the past we would’ve lost a game like that. We have the tendency to throw it away at the end.

“It was a fairly even game and not a very memorable game and a draw was a fair result. We had chances in the first half, but they had a blatant penalty turned down in the last kick of the game.”

In Division Three Long Sutton Reserves drew at Oundle Town Reserves 1-1, with Darren Goult on target.

Sutton Bridge United Reserves lost 4-0 in Division Five at home to Riverside Rovers Res.

Wisbech Town beat Wisbech St Mary 2-1 in the Vets League with goals from John Collins and Gerry Nelson. Brendan Bird scored for Saints.