Reserves keep up title pace

WISBECH Town Reserves returned to winning ways with a 1-0 win against Needingworth in the Cambs league Senior A on Saturday.

Three points has put Wisbech into third place in the table two points behind Brampton and Hemingford but they do have three games in hand and remain very much in line to take the title.

There were no goals in the first half although Wisbech missed a couple of chances and had a good penalty appeal turned down.

Midway through the second half a Craig Ablett free kick swept Wisbech into the lead. It was wide out and his ball into the goalmouth evaded everyone to find the net.

Dan Fysh was also one on one with the keeper who saved and then Ollie Gale had a good effort disallowed.

Manager Darren Edey said: “It was nice to keep a clean sheet and we defended really well We had more chances but in the conditions you are happy to finish 1-0 winners for a change.”

Wimblington also defended well in the conditions to take a point in a 3-3 draw with Girton.

Girton had the wind advantage in the first half and led 1-0 at the break.

After 70 minutes Wimblington equalised through substitute Shaun Cutler with his first touch and soon after Oerry Walton gave them the lead at 2-1.

Girton them made 2-2 before an opening goal put Wimblington’s noses in front again at 3-2.

Girton equalised once more at 3-3 with almost the last kick of the game.

Wimblington’s Dean Stacey said: “I am disappointed no to win the game fter leading twice near the end but we fell asleep in the last 10 minutes.”

Chatteris Town are still hoping to join the Ridgeons League next season – even if they cannot make the top six in the Premier Division.

They had a 3-2 home win against Newmarket Reserves on Saturday when conditions hardly suited this good footballing side.

The Lilies started the game well enough with Richie Allen heading home a Jay Hennessey cross and then Hennessey making it 2-0.

Newmarket replied with a wonder goal from 30 yards out which was very much wind assisted.

Ashley Spendelow increased the lead with a tap in but the visitors kept in the game at 3-2 and that surprisingly is how it stayed.

Manager Jimmy Unwin said: “It was an average performance. We had good spells and poor spells but at least we got the points.

“As far as the Ridgeons League is concerned we will have to wait and see if the FA allow the Ridgeons League to promote teams out of the top three but we remain hopeful.”

Wisbech St Mary bounced back after their slip-up last week in a 4-4 draw with a 3-1 win against West Row Gunners to avenge an earlier defeat this season in Senior B.

Saints scored all their goals in the first half with Joe Whybourn hitting two and Joe Gallagher also on target.

Gunners scored from the penalty spot after 70 minutes when keeper Shane Sleath brought down a player in the box.

Saints Darren Hurst said: “We had a number of chances to kill off the game in the second half but it was a good team performance. Chris Macaree and Jack Mockford did well and Joe Whybourn worked hard.”

Outwell Swifts lost 4-2 to Comberton with Lewis Day scoring twice to make it 2-2 at the break. But Swifts lost their way against the wind after the break.

It did not help Swifts cause losing Ben Jimson to injury after 10 minutes.

March Town Reserves look to be back on track in Division 1B with a 5-4 victory at Elsworth Sports but there were nervous moments near the end for manager Phil White.

March made the most of the wind advantage and swept into a 4-0 lead at the break with goals from Phil Kowbas 2, Lee White and Stu Anderson.

After the break it was Elsworth who made the most of the blustery conditions pulling the score back to 4-3.

Lee White made it 5-3 to March but the home side scored a fourth goal from the penalty spot on 89 minutes and it was tense final minutes for March.

Phil White commented: “We are back in the mix now in second place and it was a good win for us as we had two under 16 players in our side. Luke Bradshaw was one who did brilliantly in goal.”

Tydd United are through to the semi finals of the Lower Junior Cup with a 3-2 win over Balsham.

Balsham took the lead before Luke Retchless equalised and then Scott Davies struck shortly before half-time to put Tydd 2-1 up.

Balsham equalised with 15 minutes left but in the last minute Scott Davies was brought down in the area and Ricky Gunns stepped and scored the winner.

In the same competition Estover Park lost out 2-1 to Sawston Reserves.

Wisbech St Mary B swept back to the top of Division 5D with a 3-0 win over March Rangers Reserves who previously held top spot.

Coldham had a 5-1 win at Estover Park Reserves but it did not reflect the closeness of the game. Park took the lead when Matt Douglas lobbed the keeper, with Coldham equalising with their only real chance of the first half.

A Karl Summersgill drive was well saved by the Coldham keeper and three second half penalties help clinch the points. Douglas was sent off at the final whistle for dissent.

Wimblington A beat Upwell 3-0. Mark Sheridan opened the scoring and, Anton Kaval hit a cracking free-kick from 25 yards. Sam Collins completed a good performance with a third goal.

Saints’ A team lost their top spot in Division 4B after a surprise 3-2 defeat at Longstanton Reserves.

Other results

Division 2B: Godmanchester Res 1, Doddington 2, Burwell Swifts 2, Manea 2; March Rangers 0, Chatteris Town Res 1; Sutton United 4, WSM Res 3.

Division 3B: Wimblington Res 1, Little Downham Res 4.

Division 4B: Burwell Res 3, Wisbech Fen Stars 1, Gransden 1, Chatteris Town A 0; Longstanton Res 3 WSM A 2; West Row Gunners 3, Murrow Bell 2.

Division 5D: Chatteris Fen Tigers 1, Mepal Res 4; Doddington Res 0, Benwick 1, Estover Park Res 1, Coldham United 5; Walsoken 0, Manea Res 2.