Reserves on the March to secure quarter-final spot

editorial image

MARCH Town Reserves returned to winning ways after two defeats to book their place in the last eight of the Cambs Junior Challenge Cup courtesy of a 2-1 win over Bassingbourn at the GER on Saturday.

Lee White made the opening for Stuart Anderson to give March the lead after 15 minutes.

Ten minutes later the roles were reversed with Anderson setting up White to make it 2-0 at the break.

March gave away a sloppy goal early in the second half but always held the upper hand and matters were made a little easier with 10 minutes to go when a Bassingbourn player was sent off for a two-footed tackle.

Manager Phil White said: “It was good to get back to winning ways and to reach the last eight of a cup competition. It was a comfortable win in the end.”

March now meet Comberton in the next round on January 29.

Chatteris Town are also through to the last four in the Cliff Bullen Cup after a 3-2 win against Over Sports at West Street.

A win did not look on the cards with Over leading 2-0 at half-time but the Lilies responded well to manager Jimmy Unwin’s half-time words.

Tom Moden and Richie Allan put them back on terms at 2-2 before substitute Jack Saunders, who made a big impact when he came on, hit the winner.

Unwin said: “We did not defend well against the wind for their two goals and missed chances. We adapted better to the conditions after the break when we pushed on to their back four and it paid off with three goals. I think on the overall play we deserved the win.”

Chatteris now meet Littleport in the semi-finals.

Wisbech St Mary’s good run of form came to an end in Senior B with a 1-0 defeat at lowly Saffron Crocus.

The home side were content to park the bus in front of their goal and the Saints lacked the know-how and skill to open things up.

They badly needed that vital first goal but could not make the most of a number of half chances and Saffron Crocus took the lead in the second from a 40-yard free kick which was aided by the strong wind to find the net.

Saints Jon Secker said: “It was disappointing because we have been doing well but we just could not get that first goal. We had a lot of half chances but could not find the net.”

Outwell Swifts’ boss Paul Brenchley admitted he was expecting a heavy defeat when he fielded a weakened team against Lakenheath Reserves, but came away with a 1-0 win.

The all-important winning goal came midway through the second half with Lewis Day hitting a 25-yard screamer into the net.

Brenchley said: “Before the game I would have taken a point and was expecting the worst. But the lads performed very well and showed what they are capable of. Lee Peeling did brilliantly in goal and kept us in the game and Lee Barrett had a very good game for us in the centre of defence.”

Wimblington went nap in Senior A with a 5-1 win over Mildenhall Town who made the most of the wind in the first half to lead 1-0 at the break.

But it was a different story in the second half once Ash Daplyn hit the equaliser in the 50th minute. Jody Day added a hat-trick and Perry Walton was also on target to complete the rout.

Manager Dean Stacey: “The wind was very strong but once we scored that first goal we were always going to win. It was a good performance and it could have been more goals as we hit the woodwork three times.”

Wisbech Town Reserves meet Mildenhall in the league this weekend and assistant boss John Knight was at the the game to weigh up the opposition.

March Rangers ran out 5-2 winners against Manea United in Division 2B to move into third place while Doddington ran out 3-2 winners at Milton Reserves with Michael Croucher hitting the third goal from 35 yards.

Wisbech St Mary Reserves were beaten 1-0 at home by second placed Earith United.

Estover Park came up with a very good 4-2 win over Whittlesey Blue Star in the Cambs Lower Junior Cup.

The Whittlesey side, who play in Division Two of the Peterborough League and are unbeaten this season, were strong favourites to win this competition but Park’s Gregor Kudyba hit a hat-trick and his brother Mariusz was also on target in a very good performance.

Tydd United are also through to the next round following a 4-2 victory at Fordham.

Ricky Gunns returned from suspension and scored twice in the first half for a 2-0 lead at the break.

In the second half Tydd started the brighter and soon had a third goal through James Lawes.

Fordham struck back almost instantly with a very dubious penalty when Kerrie Wykes looked to have made a perfectly good tackle. Chris Young extended Tydd’s lead once more with a rather tame effort from 30 yards which slipped under the keeper’s body.

Fordham though continued to press and struck once more to make the score 4-2.

Wisbech St Mary A remain at the top of Division 4B after a 5-1 local derby win against Wisbech Fen Stars. Their goals came from a Martin Wright hat-trick, Mark Harrison and Joe Woods.

Wisbech St Mary B also top Division 5D and have now gone 11 games undefeated after a 4-3 win over Mepal Reserves.

Saints had to battle hard and were 2-0 ahead early in first half with a brace from John Rowe. Further goals come from Shane Millar and Phil Jackson.

Doddington Reserves had only their second win of the season to beat third placed Coldham United 2-1 with goals from Dave Burton and Dan Butt. Coldham’s goal came in the last two minutes from Lewis Greening.