Reserves rocked by early goal blitz

WISBECH Town Reserves’ chances of reaching a second cup final disappeared rapidly as they conceded three goals in the first 20 minutes against Milton in the William Cockell Cup semi-final at the Tom Woods Fenland Stadium on Saturday.

The Fenmen did perform a lot better in the second half but still went down 4-2.

It was a nightmare first 20 minutes as poor defending, which has become a recent trait, again let Darren Edey’s team down.

At half-time it looked a difficult task but Stuart Cobb gave Wisbech some hope when he made it 3-1 and there were chances for them to have even equalised but Milton made it 4-1 before Mark Jimson reduced the deficit again to 4-2.

Edey commented: “It was an awful first 20 minutes for us but we had enough chances to have won the game and even at 4-2 we had chances.

“So it was disappointing to go in the semi-finals, but I still believe we can gain promotion, but we need to get the basics right.”

Chatteris Town have put in two very good performances in the last week.

They held Lakenheath to a 1-1 draw last Tuesday and then toppled the league leaders Fulbourn 2-1 on Saturday.

The Lilies played some good football in the first half and led 1-0 at the break after Tom Moden had headed across goal and Richie Allen headed the ball into the net.

Five minutes into the second half Fulbourn were back on terms and then put the Chatteris goal under siege.

There was also disappointment for March Town Reserves manager Phil White whose side lost 3-1 to fifth placed St Ives Rangers and had goalkeeper Gary Goode sent off.

Top scorer Lee White put March ahead in the first half and it stayed that way until half-time but Rangers started the second half the brighter and soon equalised before taking a 2-1 lead midway through the half.

Goode brought down a Rangers player to give the home side a penalty from which they scored and he was given a red card too.

Phil White commented: “The performance was not too bad but the result was disappointing.”

Wisbech St Mary are still very much in the promotion race in Senior B after their 4-1 win against Lakenheath Reserves.

The goals came from Chris Macaree, Joe Whybourn, Michael Chow and Bashiru Nyang with a quality finish.

Saints have a big game at home against league leaders Great Paxton tonight and a win will give them a chance of the title as well as increasing their hopes of promotion.

Wimblington dropped into the bottom three in Senior A with a 2-1 defeat against Needingworth who are second from bottom.

Needingworth scored twice in the first half but Wimblington were brighter after the break. Ash Daplyn made it 2-1, and they hit the woodwork twice, but could not find that elusive equaliser.

Chatteris Town Reserves continue in good form in Division 2B and had a 4-1 win against Over Sports Reserves. James Harness scored twice and Scott Goodger and Ben Matthews were also on target.

They have a one point advantage over Burwell at the top of the table but also have three games in hand, so the title looks in their own hands with just eight games to go.

Doddington are another team in form and continued their good run with a 1-0 win at fourth placed Witchford 96. Jonathan Casbon scored the winner.

Manea are one place behind Doddington in sixth place and had a 4-0 win against Barton Mills.

In Division 3B Tydd United had a 6-4 win over Fordham in an action packed game.

Tydd’s scorers were Ben Norman 2, Corey Barker and Ricky Gunns 3.

Estover Park were back on top form with a 4-1 win against Exning.

All four goals came from Mariusz Kudyba who put in a tremendous man of the match performance, alongside Martin Chapman and Stephen Dickinson.

Division 4B leaders Wisbech St Mary A proved too good for Chatteris A with a 7-0 victory. Martin Wright led the way with a hat-trick and John Rowe, Leon Murphy, Lee Lutwyche and Jamie Cobbin also scored.

Wisbech St Mary B have a four point cushion at the head of Division 5D following a 5-2 victory at Walsoken.

Upwell took all three points with a 2-1 win against promotion chasers Coldham.

Luke Young scored the opening goal inside the first minute but on the hour Coldham equalised.

But Upwell hit back with Tim Housden pouncing on a parry by the Coldham keeper Joelle Williams.