Reserves’ title hopes suffer setback after double defeat

editorial image

Wisbech Town Reserves look to have blown their chances of winning the Cambs League Senior A title after their 4-3 defeat at Soham United on Saturday.

This followed a 3-1 loss at home to leaders Linton Granta in midweek and they now trail them by three points but have also played two games more.

Manager Darren Edey was not a happy man after this latest defeat because he felt they had more than enough chances to have won the game and questioned their attitude of some of the players.

Wisbech led three times at Soham with brothers Darren Jimson 2 and Mark scoring the goals but poor defending at the other end cost them dearly as the home side hit back and scored the winner 15 minutes from the end.

Edey, who had to run the line, commented: “The attitude of certain players was not good enough and they were just not at the races. The Jimsons did well for us but some other players just did not carry out the instructions and we did not defend properly.

“We look to have lost our title chance but we can still gain promotion and that remains the objective.”

Wisbech St Mary scored six goals in the first half against Fowlmere to and that was it as they won 6-0 in Senior B and move into sixth place.

Ricky Bowden 2, Chris Macaree, Stuart Brown, Jack Mockford and Joe Whybourn were on target.

Darren Hurst said: “It was another good team performance with Stuart Brown and Marley Coe both having very good games. We should have scored more goals after the break but took our foot off the pedal.

“We now have two tough games against Debden in the next two weeks. The first is in the league and then in the cup.”

March Town Reserves are back on the top of Division 1B on goal difference after a 1-0 win at home to Cottenham Reserves.

Phil Kowbas scored the winner in the second half but was still a comfortable win.

There were some good wins for the local sides in Division 2B with Chatteris Town Reserves winning 6-1 at Barton Mills to take second place.

Doddington had a 5-1 home win against Sutton United and after an indifferent start to the season are in fifth place.

Manager Jock Bedford was always confident his side would improve as the season progressed.

Manea United enjoyed a 4-2 win at Milton Reserves while Wisbech St Mary Reserves beat March Rangers 4-2 at home to help them move away from the relegation zone.

In Division 5D Coldham beat Walsoken 3-2 after Eliot Vanhinsergh got them off to a good start scoring after five minutes.

Walsoken got back into the game with a breakaway goal and Colham were then denied from penalty when the Walsoken keeper saved well to his left.

Vanhinsbergh restored Coldham lead just before half-time but again Walsoken equalised and were unlucky not to take the lead when defender Ed Robinson three blocks on the line. With time running out Josh Bothamley scored

Other results

Division 3B: Bluntisham Res 3, Wimblington Res 2.

John Ablett Cup: Estover Park 0, Orwell 1, Sawston Res 6, Tydd Utd 3.

Division 4B: Burwell Res 2, WSM A 4, Murrow Bell 2, Milton A 2, Wisbech Fen Stars 4, Chatteris A 1.

Division 5D: Chatteris Fen Tigers 2, Doddington Res 4, Manea Res 3 Mepal Res 1 , March Rangers Res 2, Benwick 2, Wimblington A 4, WSM Bes 5.