Reserves will keep pushing for promotion

WISBECH Town Reserves drew 1-1 in a Cambs League Senior A Division promotion six-pointer with Cherry Hinton.

Ollie Gale scored for the Fenmen.

Reserves manager Darren Edey said: “Again we dominated with lots of chances in a very good game, but again we failed to take them, and it cost us the three points.

“Cherry Hinton were in the same situation – they needed to win, and we’ve got them again next week. At least they didn’t gain any ground on us.

“We’re making it hard for ourselves, but we’ll keep plugging away to gain promotion.”

Depleted Wimblington were without more than half their side and predictably went down 7-0 at Linton Granta, who manager Dean Stacey says will win the title.

He said: “They’ll win the league, definitely. We had seven or eight players out, so I had to take some Reserve players. We nearly held out until half time, but right on it they scored a penalty, and they ran riot in the second half.

“The reserves tried their best and they did okay – which is all you can ask from them – but they were a class above us.”

In the Premier Division, fourth place Chatteris Town demolished Hundon 6-1 thanks to a Richard Allen hat-trick, plus strikes from Tom Moden, Steve Turnbill and Jay Hennessey. Hundon had made it 3-1 with what boss Jim Unwin called a “world class” goal from 35 yards.

In the Senior B Division, Wisbech St Mary beat Ely A 2-1, and Joe Whyborn gave Saints a half-time lead.

Manager Darren Hurst said: “It was a bad performance but Shane Sleath, who has been in top form, made a couple of outstanding saves. We brought on Jack Mockford and Mark McAree, who made a difference.”

Indeed, McAree delivered the winner for Stuart Brown to head home on the final whistle. It turned out to be vital as rivals Great Paxton and Cambs City Res dropped points. Saints are six points behind Paxton with two games in hand.

Outwell Swifts earned a 2-2 draw at Fulbourn Institute Reserves.

Chatteris Town Reserves boss Leigh Matthews paid tribute to substitute James Harness, who inspired a 3-1 victory away at Manea United and got their Division 2B promotion bid back on track.

Matthews said: “James came on and ran them ragged – he set up the second goal and scored one himself. I had to shake things up a bit after a couple of bad results, it wasn’t down to James but I’m glad I got a positive reaction.

“The boys deserved it as we’ve had a rough trot lately, but hopefully we’re back in the promotion hunt. As we’ve got six games left and five are at home we feel it’s definitely in our own hands.”

Other goals came from Tony Brown and Ross Alexander.

A solitary first half goal was enough for Doddington United to shrivel The Vine’s chances of gaining any points in this clash. March Rangers fought out a 0-0 stalemate with Witchford 96.

Wisbech St Mary Reserves dispatched Barton Mills 4-0 with goals from Thomas Diggines, Ricky Mason 2 and Bashiru Nyang at Station Road.

In Division 3B, Estover Park – who have games in hand on their rivals – kept themselves in the promotion race with a 5-1 triumph over visitors Ely Crusaders.

Plucky Wimblington Reserves lost by a single goal at leaders Isleham United, while Tydd United lost 2-1 at home to second spot Mepal Sports after dominating the first half. Chris Young did get a goal back in the last seconds of the game with a header at the back post from a corner.

Tydd also have a cup final after they were awarded an away walkover in the semi final after a disciplinary matter in the quarter final between Isleham and Hardwick A which resulted in both teams being eliminated from the cup.

This means Tydd will face Sawston at the Glassworld Stadium on April 28.

If Wisbech St Mary A win Division 4B they may look to this clash when they won 2-0 at third place Gransden. Saints are seven points ahead of Bar Hill, who have five games in hand.

Chatteris Town A drew 1-1 with the team immediately below them, Burwell Swifts Res.

A brace from Sam Kilby and a Craig Moore goal meant Murrow Bell defeated Soham United Res 3-2. Wisbech Fen Stars lost 5-0 to away side Longstanton Reserves.

Division 5D double-chasing Wisbech St Mary B progressed to the Reg Haigh & Arthur Peck Cup final by beating Manea United Res 3-0 convincingly.

Goals came from Paul Burton, Shane Miller and man of the match John Rowe with a fantastic solo goal. While the Saints were in cup action, Benwick Athletic kept pressure on the leaders as Dayne Moore starred with a hat-trick in a 3-0 home win over Doddington Reserves.

Chatteris A finished level with Wimblington A 2-2. Two second half strikes from Mepal Sports Res condemned Estover Park Reserves to a 2-0 defeat. Park’s Karl Summersgill went closest in the first half but Mepal scored twice after defensive errors.

In the battle of the bottom two, a Mark Fysh strike ensured Walsoken United narrowly won 1-0 at Upwell Town.