Saints go top after three wins in a row

WISBECH St Mary top the Cambs League Senior A after three successive wins following a 4-0 victory over Cambridge City Reserves on Saturday.

Joe Gallagher gave them a 1-0 lead in the first 45 minutes. They stepped up a gear after the break with Joe Whybourn, Wayne Morton and Chris Macaree completing a very impressive win.

Saints, who won promotion last season, have scored eight goals in three games without conceding a goal and a delighted manager Aaron Duke said: “We got off to a poor start last season but this time we have gelled very quickly. Sam Kilby was superb in goal today and has made a big difference.

“It is good to be top of the table at this stage but there is still a very long way to go to the end of the season.”

In midweek Saints had beaten Soham United 1-0 with Keith Smith goal.

Wisbech Town Reserves lost 2-1 at home to Soham United with Darren Edey’s side missing six players due to injuries and work.

They went behind to a shot from just outside the area, but Ricky Speechley, a signing from Whittlesey United, equalised with a very good strike from 25 yards and the Fenmen got on top without being able to take the lead.

A second goal from 20 yards out for Soham condemned the Fenmen to defeat and Edey, who came close to a late equaliser, commented: “We were already missing players and then Scott Cubberley had to come off at half-time with an injury. We did not work hard enough to close them down for their two goals.”

Cubberley returned to football after a nine-month break to score both goals in Wisbech Town Reserves’ 2-2 draw with Wimblington on Wednesday night.

Cubberley quit the game before Christmas last year after a move to King’s Lynn before the start to the season.

Wimblington boss Dean Stacy, who saw his side take the lead twice in the game, commented: “I thought we did enough to have deserved a win. Paul Shafer scored the first goal and then we missed chances before their equaliser. Matthew Ridgeway gave us the lead again but then we conceded a penalty in the last five minutes.”

But Stacy was not a happy man after Saturday’s 7-0 defeat against Hemingford when they went 2-0 down when Paul Shafer was sent off early in the second half.

Stacy commented: “I am embarrassed to be manager and hope some of my players take a good look at themselves and put things right next week if selected.”

Chatteris Town staged a remarkable recovery to collect a point against Littleport in the Cambs League Premier Division last Tuesday night.

The Lilies looked down and out as they trailed 4-1 at half-time but hit three second half goals to force a draw and were close to collecting all three points.

Manager Steve Taylor admitted: “I have never in 30 years been involved in a game like that. It was real topsy and turvy. We looked dead and buried at half-time.

“We started poorly and really we gave them all four goals through mistakes of our own. But we were a different side after the break and might have won it in the end as we were so much on top.”

A mistake by Ben Collett in goal and two more conceded from corners left Chatteris 3-0 down in 20 minutes. Tony Brown pulled a goal back but then a poor back pass by Jon Brierley led to a fourth.

Some harsh words at half-time rejuvenated Chatteris after the break and they quickly too control. Jake Burton made it 4-2 and then Brown and Jamie Taylor added goals to make it 4-4 with 12 minutes to go.

Taylor added: “It was disappointing to drop two points but I would have gladly taken a point at half-time. Hopefully this a was a real wake-up call for our young players.”

In Senior B Outwell Swifts had a 1-0 win at Ely City A in midweek but suffered a 4-0 home defeat against Cambridge University Press Reserves on Saturday.