Saints hoping for double celebration

WISBECH St Mary moved another step closer to the Cambs League Senior B title with a 2-0 win over Ely A and the club’s B team clinched the Division 5D championship with a resounding 9-0 win against Doddington Reserves.

Saints have just three games left in Senior B and have a three-point advantage over Great Paxton, who are their opponents in the final game of the season.

On Saturday they had few problems against Ely with Stuart Beckett, promoted from the Reserves, giving them a first half lead and Joe Whybourn securing the win with the second goal after the break.

Boss Darren Hurst commented: “It was a good team performance and we played a lot better than in our last two games. We have got ourselves in a good position now and it is in our own hands.

“We did not start the season too well but we have had a very good run since Christmas to take us into top spot.”

Wisbech St Mary B enioyed taking the title on Saturday but there was some disappointment too because they may not be promoted.

The Club’s A team lost 1-0 to West Row Gunners Reserves and will now struggle to hold on to second place in the table in Division 4B against that team who have two games in hand.

B team manager Tony Putterill saw his side beat Doddington Reserves 9-0 to be crowned champions with Shane Miller hitting five goals and Phil Jackson a hat-trick, with Paul Burton also on target.

Putterill said: “It was quite comfortable against a weakened Doddington team and it makes up for last week. I was optimistic at the start of the season that we could win the league but then we went and lost our first game to Outwell A who later dropped out of the league.

“Now we have won the league we can look forward to the Reg Haigh and Arthur Peck Cup final on May 6.

“It will be a big disappointment if we cannot get promoted but perhaps clubs will drop out above and the A team will go up and us too.”

Wisbech Town Reserves were 2-0 down in the first 15 minutes but battled back to draw 2-2 against Milton in the Senior A division.

Sam Darlow scored their first goal with a header after 30 minutes and Sam Cubberley scored the equaliser after an hour.

Manager Darren Edey said: “We were awful for the first 20 minutes but played really well and could easily have won the game. We just lacked someone gambling on things in the box because the openings were there.”

March Town Reserves moved up to fifth place in Division 1B with a 2-0 win at Buckden to follow a 4-4 draw with Fenstanton in midweek.

Lee White was brought down in the box for a penalty in the first half and scored from the spot. Then he produced a very good finish to make it 2-0.

Manager Phil White said: “It is good to get back into form with a cup final coming up. It was quite comfortable once the second goal went in with a very good strike.”

Tydd United’s hopes of promotion in Division 3B took a big setback with a 2-1 home defeat against Brampton Reserves. They are in fourth place three points behind the top club but do have games in hand.