Saints march into cup final

editorial image

WISBECH St Mary cruised through to the Percy Oldham Cup final with a 5-2 win at Debden in the semi-finals on Saturday and will come up against Senior B leaders Great Paxton in the decider.

The two teams had met seven days earlier in the league with Saints winning 6-0 but this was a little tougher on a smaller pitch and wet conditions.

However Saints got the perfect start when they took the lead after just five minutes with full back Stuart Brown firing home from 30 yards into the top corner.

The home side then had their centre half sent off for a professional foul on Joe Whybourn, and after 23 minutes Brown also hit the second goal, meeting a Jack Mockford free kick with his head.

Debden pulled a goal back just before the break from a free kick and did put Saints under pressure at the start of the second half without creating too much in front of goal.

Whybourn then made it 3-1 with a good finish and with 15 minutes to go Joe Gallagher booked their final spot to make it 4-1.

Debden scored with five minutes to go but substitute Baz Myang scored a fifth Saints goal in the last minute.

Saints’ Jon Secker said: “It was a bit more difficult than the previous week but we put in a good performance and always looked in control.

“It is a bonus to reach the final but the main objective is promotion and we are gaining a bit of momentum towards that now.”

Another team with promotion in their sights is March Town Reserves who won 5-1 at Waterbeach Reserves and now lead Division 1B by three points.

Lee White gave them the lead after 20 minutes and added a second from the penalty spot after being brought down.

Early in the second half March conceded a sloppy goal but Vinny Edwards lobbed the goalkeeper to make it 3-1 and then Sam Murphy, making a brief appearance from college, crossed for White to complete his hat-trick.

Murphy then added a solo goal for the final score of 5-1 and make it five wins in a row.

Manager Phil White said: “It was a very good all round performance and we are in a good position now. Next week we have cup semi-final to look forward to.”

Chatteris Town’s game was postponed on Saturday but they had a 2-0 win over Great Shelford in midweek with John Brierley scoring both goals in the Premier Division.

Chatteris Town Reserves close to within a point of Division 2B leaders Witchford 96 with a 4-1 win over local rivals Doddington United.

Mark Heading scored twice with Adam Chapman and Tony Brown also on target. Oliver Boyden scored the Doddington goal.

Manea United had forced a 3-3 draw with Witchford, while March Rangers lost 2-0 at fourth placed Earith.

Tydd United suffered only their second defeat of the season in Division 3B when losing 2-1 at home to Little Downham Swifts.

In the first half there were few chances but Ricky Gunns came closest when his fierce shot beat the keeper but not the post.

After the break Tydd started the brighter and after some neat play Lewis Millar curled his shot in from 14 yards.

Little Downham hit back shortly after and soon made it 2-1. Tydd pressed for an equaliser but the stubborn defence of Little Downham soaked up the pressure.

Estover Park and Wimblington Reserves drew 1-1 in the local derby.

Wisbech St Mary A have a four-point lead in Division 4B after a 3-0 win at Milton A but Wisbech Fen Stars suffered a 9-0 defeat at home to second placed Bar Hill.

March Rangers Reserves lead the way in Division 5D following a 3-0 win at Doddington Reserves but Wisbech St Mary B, 8-0 winners against Upwell, are just two points behind with a game in hand.

Benwick seem to be well over their Christmas blues and enjoyed a 4-1 win at Coldham.

Estover Park Reserves beat Manea Reserves 3-2.

Manea took an early lead before Karl Summersgill scored from close range. A Steve Coe cross was then driven in by James Brown for Park to lead 2-1 at the break.

Park’s Robert Bartrum was felled in the area and he got up to score the penalty. A late Manea goal completed the scores.