Super Saints soar into second spot

Wisbech St Mary moved into second place in the Cambs League Premier Division with a 2-1 win at Lakenheath on Saturday.

They trailed 1-0 at the break but some stiff words from Arran Duke brought a good reaction from the Saints players in the second half.

Chris Macaree equalised on the first minute of the half when his shot found the top corner and although they had a lot of good possession the winner did not come until 10 minutes from time when Jack Mockford found the bottom corner of the net.

Duke said: “We had a lot more chances than Lakenheath in the first half but just could not find the net. We did improve after the break and on the balance of play I think we deserved the win.

“I am very happy with the start we have made to our first season in the Premier Division and to be second is fantastic.”

Chatteris could not follow up their first win of the season with a second victory at West Wratting losing 4-0.

Jack Saunders and Gary White made their debuts for the season after return moves from March but Steve Bright was missing three defenders from the previous week.

The Lilies were trailing 2-0 at the break but five minutes into the second half looked to have got themselves back into the game when Richie Allen steered a Scott Goodger pass into the net only to be ruled offside by a late flag from the linesman.

Manager Steve Bright said: “That was really the turning point of the game as we were playing well and two minutes later also went close to scoring. We had a number of chances also but their goalkeeper, the biggest player on the park, had a very good game.

“We have not got a game next week and Tony Brown and Aidan Hollis should be available for the trip to Over Sports the following week.”

Outwell Swifts won their William Coad Cup-tie against Senior A side Girton United by 3-2 in extra time after the score was 2-2 in 90 minutes.

Swifts led 2-0 at half-time with goals from Mark Secker and James Parker. But after the break Girton were allowed back into the game with some poor play and conceded twice to take the game into extra time. Parker scored a second goal five minutes from time to settle the tie.

Secker said: “We got what we deserved I thought. The game was delayed 15 minutes because Girton did not have their full squad although 11 players warmed which was strange. Our keeper Lennie Peeling has made some good saves and Levi Barrett had a great game.”

March Town Reserves only just scraped home 4-3 in the North Cambs Cup against Division 5D side Walsoken United.

Adam White scored twice and Jon Gibbons and Liam Lorraine were also on target.

Doddington United also progressed with a 2-1 win in the local derby against March Rangers with James Harness and substitute Asa Revell scoring. Sean White hit the Rangers goal. Wisbech St Mary A beat Gorefield 3-1.

Division 3B: Estover Park 4, Longstanton 2.

Division 4B: Chatteris A 2, Milton 4.

Division 5D: Coldham 2, March Rangers Res 0; Littleport A 3, WSM C 3; Manea Res 0, Earith Res 3.

Cambs Lower Junior Cup: Whittlesey United Res 9, Doddington Res 1; WSM B 2, Outwell Swifts Res 2 (Swifts won on pens); Chatteris Fen Tigers 1, Coates Res 4; Upwell 3, Hardwick 5 (aet); Wimblington Res 4, March Saracens 0.