Sutton lose final place

LONG Sutton have lost their place in the Spalding Inter-Services Cup final after playing an unregistered player in their 8-0 win against Tydd St Mary in the semi-finals.

Although Matt Radeloff had been signed on Peterborough League forms for the club and has played at the club for several seasons it was found that he not signed a form for the Spalding competition.

The Magpies won the cup last year and were looking forward to defending their title and manager Paul Preston commented: “It is a big disappointment as this was our only chance of any silverware this season.

“It was not as though we were cheating. Matt has played for us all season but it was an oversight that he had not signed a form for this competition.”

Long Sutton did not have much better luck when they drew 2-2 with Ketton in Division One on Saturday.

They made a disappointing start and were 1-0 down after 20 minutes and Matt Cawthorne equalised before half-time.

Ketton regained the lead with 15 minutes to go but Jake Clitheore headed in a rebound to make it 2-2.

Preston added:” We did not play so well in the first half but we had words a the break and improved afterwards. We had chances to win the game but at least it was a positive second half.”

Leverington boss Alan Russell is not too concerned that his side are fourth from bottom in the Premier Division.

They lost 2-0 to Netherton on Saturday but Russell believes with 11 games to go that his side will attain enough points to keep away from the threat of relegation.

He said: “We had a few players missing but I think once we get them back we will be ok.”

Netherton scored twice in the second half with Marti Ryan having a good header well saved in between the goals and missing a good chance in the first 45 minutes by shooting too high.

Parson Drove drew 2-2 at Coates after leading until four minutes from the end.

Scott McManus was guilty of missing the target the previous week but scored with a fantastic 35-yard screamer and Artur Mikail was also on target.

Manager Nick Markillie said: “I think we deserved the points. We started both halves very well and their equaliser came very late on.”

Guyhirn won their third game of the season in Division Two with a 5-3 win at Woodston to move out of the bottom two.

Aaron Percel hit a hat-trick and other goals came from Jamie Laughton and Simon Davies.

Long Sutton Reserves handed Whittlesey’s second string their first victory of the season in Combination Division One.

Despite Vince Mackie’s strike, Sutton went down to a 2-1 home reversal.

Leverington Reserves were also narrow losers, going down 1-0 at home to Crowland.