Third place Drove drive on as unbeaten run stretches to four

PARSON Drove made it four successive wins in the Peterborough Premier Division with a 3-2 success at Oakham on Saturday.

Alan Russell’s side lost on the opening day of the season, but have gone from strength to strength since then and now sit third in the table.

Last season was a real struggle for the club as they only fended off possible relegation towards the end of the season. But Russell’s return as manager after five seasons away looks to have transformed things.

He has brought back former players Ben Russell, Wayne Morton and Michael Cozens and promising young former Wisbech Town striker Danny Emmington has featured in their last two wins.

On Saturday Scott McManus shot Drove ahead after 10 minutes, but Oakham equalised soon after and took the lead at 2-1 from a set piece.

James McManus then had a penalty saved before he redeemed himself five minutes after the break with the equaliser.

After 67 minutes brother Scott scored his second goal to put Drove ahead for the first time and they held on well to the end.

Russell added: “It was another good all round performance. We have had a good run since the first game but it is early days yet. At the moment we seem to have to make changes every game so I am not really selecting a side and perhaps that won’t happen until October what with weddings and holidays.”

Drove had beaten Coates 2-0 in midweek with Emmington scoring on his debut and Scott McManus also on target.

But while Drove are enjoying a run of good results neighbours Leverington suffered their third successive defeat by 2-1 at home to Deeping Reserves.

Stu Webb’s side had been rocked with a 5-0 home defeat against Moulton Harrox in midweek but the manager felt they had enough chances to have won on Saturday.

Ryan Howell gave Leverington the lead but they missed further chances through Howell, James Woods and Tancsel Ibranim before the break.

Darren Rawthorn then went through and hit a post and they paid for those misses when Deeping equalised after 70 minutes and five minutes later came up with the winner.

Webb said: “We had players missing against Moulton and there were nine in total absent yesterday. It was disappointing on Saturday because in the first half we should have had the game won after we took lead. When you miss chances like that you know it is not going to be your day.”

Long Sutton cruised to their first win of the season in Division One by beating neighbours Holbeach Reserves 6-1.

Matt Cawthorn and James Ward both scored twice and Matt Radeloff and Martin Ward were also on target.

Sutton Bridge suffered a third successive defeat losing 5-1 at home to Stamford Belvedere and are bottom of the table.