Title hopes are dented

Wisbech Town Football action v Newmarket
Wisbech Town Football action v Newmarket

Wroxham Town 2,

Wisbech Town 1

Wisbech Town Football action v Newmarket

Wisbech Town Football action v Newmarket

THE Fenmen’s slim title hopes looked to have disappeared after this defeat by the league leaders on Saturday but it was not all gloom.

All Steve Appleby’s best laid plans disappeared out of the window when illness robbed him of Anthony Reeve and Callum Reed and he was already missing Stacy Cartwright, Scott Johnson and Liam Nimmo too.

But the manager was far from disappointed by the efforts of his players. “They have given it a real go and I think we were a little unlucky not to have come away with something,” he said.

“Another big decision has gone against us with the first goal when the referee did not see Ryan pulled back. We could have defended the free kick a little better for the second, but I could not have asked more from the players in the second half when we had three or four good chances and had them panicking.

“When you come to places like Wroxham you need all your players. We did not have that, but I have to applaud the players who did play for their efforts.”

It was a similar story earlier in the season when the Yachtsmen romped home in the FA Cup tie between the two sides.

Wroxham now hold a 14-point lead over Wisbech, who have two games in hand and will now have to concentrate on picking up second place and a promotion place.

Neither side displayed the qualities of champions on the day. Wisbech gave away two soft goals and although they were the better side for much of the second half were unable to add to Nick Davey’s goal in the 68th minute.

Wisbech started the game well enough with Ollie gale heading over after a mistake by former Fenman Paul Cousins and after 15 minutes Nick Davey had the ball in the net following a free kick but the referee saw an infringement.

But the home side came more and more into the game and Cousins headed wide from a corner and there were two more close shaves before the league leaders went ahead when goalkeeper Ryan Rayner looked to be impeded as he came for the ball at a corner and punched it into his own net.

Ten minutes into the second half Wroxham made it 2-0 following a free kick when Ben Thompson was unmarked and let fly with a shot which went in off the inside of the post.

Six minutes later Davey began the Wisbech revival when he latched on to a loose ball in the area and found the net.

Then Adam Millson let fly from let fly from 35 yards five minutes later and was only denied by the palm of the Scott Davey as the ball headed for the top corner.

It was a good spell for Wisbech and Matt Lunn also drew a good save from the edge of the box while Neal Spafford headed over and Chris Bacon was too high from eight yards.

Wisbech Ryan Rayner, Neal Spafford, Jon Fairweather, Ollie Pinner, Ollie Gale, Steve Reid, Sam Murphy, Adam Millson, Matt Lunn, Chris Bacon, Nick Davey. Sub used: Lewis Thompson.