Tom comes to the rescue as Lilies salvage a point

TOM MODEN came to the rescue for the second week running as Chatteris salvaged a point in a 1-1 home draw with Ely Reserves in the Cambs League Premier Division on Saturday.

Trailing at half time to a disputed penalty, the Lilies hit back in the 75th minute when Jason Hennessey put in a good cross and Moden headed home.

The previous week Moden had been on the scoresheet when Chatteris recovered from a two-goal deficit to beat Over Sports in the Cambs Junior Cup.

Manager Jimmy Unwin commented: “This was something like after the Lord Mayor’s Show and perhaps we were a bit complacent, thinking we could do enough to win the game. But credit to Ely who battled hard, got men behind the ball and they deserved the point.”

Ely had taken the lead on the stroke of half time from the penalty spot for a foul, although Chatteris felt the initial infringement was outside the box.

Wisbech Reserves manager Darren Edey wasn’t too happy with his side’s first half performance against Senior A bottom side Mildenhall Reserves who had arrived with only ten men. “I went a bit mad at them as we hadn’t been able to keep the ball well because we tried to rush things too much,” he said.

“But there was a definite improvement in the second half when we did keep the ball and make them work – and in the end we got our just desserts.”

Wisbech went ahead in the 18th minute through Ollie Gale, but then had to wait until the early stages of the second half before making their pressure count. Daniel Fysh notched a hat-trick and Aaron McKenna was also on the scoresheet as Mildenhall finished the game with only nine players.

The 5-0 win keeps Wisbech handily placed in third spot just two points behind leaders Hemingsford and one point behind Brampton, with three games in hand on both clubs.

Dean Jimson scored twice as Wisbech St Mary beat second-in-the-table Fulbourne Reserves 4-0 in Senior B, with the other goals coming from Ricky Bowden and Chris McAree.

But there was disappointment for Outwell Swifts who fell to a 1-0 defeat at home to Swavesey Institute who had arrived looking for their first league win of the season.

March Reserves still hold second place in Division 1B, but their position is not quite so secure now after going down 1-0 away to unbeaten Somersham Reserves who have moved up to third place and only a point behind with three games in hand.

“This was a big game for us and we had enough chances to win it,” said manager Phil White. “But we didn’t take them and Somersham showed us how to do it when they broke away and scored from the one real shot they had.

“We played well enough and there were times when we were well on top, but we just couldn’t put the ball in the net. It was one of those days.”

In Division 2B Chatteris Reserves enjoyed a 4-1 win away to lowly Milton Reserves, but Wisbech St Mary went down 3-1 away to Burwell Swifts.

In Division 3B, second-from-bottom Wimblington Reserves were hit 6-1 at home by league leaders Isleham United.

The visitors went into an early two-goal lead before Alex Redhead pulled one back, but then Isleham showed why they are setting the pace at the top.

Estover Park were back in league action away to Hemingford Abbotts A and put in an impressive performance to claim all three points in a 6-2 victory.

There was a brace each from Mariusz Kudyba, Dan Smethurst and Shane Bilney-Knight (along with a man of the match performance). Other good performances came from Paul Sullivan and Jermaine Watson for the park.

Goals from Joe Woods, Martin Wood and substitute Leon Murphy saw Wisbech St Mary A to a 3-1 home win over Wicken Amateurs, after the Saints had been trailing at half time. The result keeps Saints at the top of the Division 4B table.

Chatteris A returned from Milton A with all three points after a 2-1 win, but bottom side Wisbech Fen Stars were crushed 7-1 away to Soham Utd Reserves. Murrow Bell were pipped 4-3 at home by Longstanton Reserves.

Leaders March Rangers Reserves were big winners in Division 5D, with a 6-1 win away to Upwell.

The goals came from Alex Carman (2), James Boxall, Keith Harris and substitutes Lester Smith and Alan Turner. Sean Goodger was on target for Upwell.

Wimblington A topped the goals chart with an 8-2 win away to Walsoken. Midfielder 16-year-old Anton Kaval bossed the midfield with three well taken goals. Chris Blake netted two and Anton’s dad Richard had a brace. Sam Collins was also on target. Wimblington, with five 16-year-olds, dominated against a determined Walsoken.

Coldham consolidated third spot in the league with a 2-1 win over Mepal Reserves. Playing against against the wind Coldham found themselves a goal down from a corner, but equalised in the 30th minute when Josh Bothamley latched on to a pass from Lewis Greening to score from close range.

Elliot Vanhinsbergh gave Coldham the lead midway though the second half and was unlucky not to add to his tally. With the return of Jon Knight to the side Coldham looked more solid.

In the Reg Haigh and Arthur Peck Cup, Wisbech St Mary B went through to the quarter-finals with a 3-1 win at Chatteris Fen Tigers. Manea Reserves won 2-1 at home to Melbourne Reserves.

Doddington Reserves went down 2-0 away to Studlands Park and Estover Park Reserves were hit 5-0 on their visit to Glemsford and Cavendish Utd Res. Estover were disappointed with their set-back, as two errors led to Park being 2-0 down at half time and with the team pushing for goals, Cavendish scored three more on the break. Park claim that Gareth Puleston was incorrectly sent off and say that Cavendish intend to support Park’s appeal.

Draw for the quarter-finals: Wisbech St Mary B away to Willingham and Manea away to Waterbeach A, to be played on February 19.