Tydd brave in Easter final

Underdogs Tydd St Mary FC put up a brave display in the Spalding Inter Services Trophy Final on Saturday.

Two teams from the Peterborough & District Football League fought out the final on Saturday, with Tydd from Division 5 and Holbeach Utd Reserves from Division 1. It went to the form book after Holbeach beat Tydd 6-0.

Tydd always knew this was going to be a tough final against a strong Holbeach side with four divisions difference between the sides and home advantage. The Saints had already knocked out Division 1 side Long Sutton Athletic in the semi-final and felt that, on their day, may well be able to get a result.

The game started at a good pace and both sides were sparring well but it was The Saints who had the ball in the back of the net after 19 minutes with some fine work by Aaron Parker but he was harshly ruled offside.

The Tigers made the breakthrough after 32 minutes when a poor goal kick went straight to a Holbeach player who then picked a pass for The Tigers to score.

Things went from bad to worse for The Saints with another defensive error just a minute later when a poor header back to the ‘keeper was well intercepted and slotted home for 2–0. Tydd were rocking now as the score line did not reflect the game but it stayed 2–0 at the break.

Holbeach came out strong in the second half and made it 3–0 on 53 minutes when an excellent cross was neatly headed home. The Saints never gave up and looked particularly dangerous on the break. On 58 minutes Matty Eaton went surging into the box and was crudely up ended for a Tydd penalty.

Steve Cousins stepped up to take the spot kick but it was well saved by the Holbeach ‘keeper. Three minutes later The Saints were reduced to 10 men when Mark Greenacre was sent off for a poor tackle after being adjudged to be the last defender.

This really took the wind out of Tydd’s sails but with 10 men kept going. They were almost rewarded for their hard work on 73 minutes when Aaron Parker had the ball in the back of the net after a neat move but again the officials judged, controversially, the goal to be offside.

This was the final straw for Tydd; down to 10 men, a missed penalty and two disallowed goals had knocked the stuffing out of The Saints and this is where Holbeach finished the game off.

Three goals in the last 15 minutes was harsh but Holbeach were the deserved winners on the night. Tydd will reflect on some missed opportunities and poor decisions but will keep going as the club goes from strength to strength.