Unbeaten Fenmen set for dream cup clash with Kettering

Wisbech Town at home to Yaxley. Action from the second half. First goal of the second half.
Wisbech Town at home to Yaxley. Action from the second half. First goal of the second half.

Wisbech Town 3, Yaxley 0

THE Fenmen are now unbeaten in seven games as they brushed aside UCL side Yaxley to set up another FA Cup home tie against Kettering Town in the first qualifying round on September 8.

Wisbech Town at home to Yaxley. Action from the second half.

Wisbech Town at home to Yaxley. Action from the second half.

It will be a dream tie for Fenmen boss Steve Appleby who spent a season with the Poppies in the 1991-92 season.

He commented: “It was not the most fruitful time of my career at Kettering but it was a very important part learning about when you don’t play but I have not got a bad word to say about Kettering.

“The chairman will be pleased we are through with another home tie and everyone is looking forward to the big day when we should get a big crowd.

“We were on top in the first half and comfortable, but were not quick enough and sharp enough. I warned the lads beforehand about set pieces and they really only had one chance from a corner when Lunny headed off the line.

Wisbech Town at home to Yaxley. Action from the second half.

Wisbech Town at home to Yaxley. Action from the second half.

“We upped the tempo after the break and have gone 3-0 up and could have had more with Lunny hitting the woodwork twice.

“Then the injuries really killed the game, but Yaxley could have scored near the end when Jordan has made a great save and perhaps they should have had a penalty.

“We also had the bonus of giving young Lewis Clayton, out of the under 18 team, his debut and the lad looked okay when he came on. He was unlucky not to score and I am pleased for the lad.”

The opening exchanges were very even, but then Bacon and Lunn linked up well to provide the opening goal after 19 minutes. Bacon looked to have overrun the ball on the edge of the box but former March defender Marc Welcher missed the ball completely and Bacon slotted it across the face of the goal to find the far corner of the net.

Paul Cousins then had a header cleared off the line from a Rogan McGeorge corner, before Lunn came to Wisbech’s rescue at the other end when he headed a goalbound effort from a corner off the line to keep Wisbech’s lead intact at the break.

Lunn, who thrived in his striker’s role in place of the injured Dubi Ogbonna, was inspirational at the start of the second half. He went on one of his mazy runs sweeping past three defenders only to see his shot hit the inside of the post and bounce into the arms of the relieved Aaron Butcher.

A minute later the woodwork denied him again when Bacon pulled the ball back from the byeline, but the ball did appear to cross the line.

Luke Pepper then produced a good save from Lea Jordan, but on 56 minutes Lunn was put through by Bacon and swept the ball into the net to make it 2-0.

Five minutes later it was 3-0 when Bacon broke through and was brought down by the onrushing Butcher just inside the area although the keeper looked to have got his hands to the ball. Unfortunately Bacon injured his shoulder in the collision and had to go off leaving Adam Millson to step up and put the penalty past Butcher, who received a yellow card along with Welcher for his protests.

Soon after Wisbech also lost Reid when he chased down a ball into the area and was caught by the studs of Butcher as they collided and the midfielder had to be stretchered off with a cut to his leg.

This gave a debut to 16-year-old Clayton for the last 20 minutes and he almost crowned it with a goal bringing out a good save from Butcher with a shot from the edge of the box.

Gale was also denied by a good save before Yaxley had two good opportunities of their own. First Gavin Cooke failed to force the ball over the line from two yards and then substitute Ash Brand had a lob well saved by Jordan, but should have had a penalty when he was hauled down.

It was comfortable for Wisbech in the end. Yaxley certainly played well in the first half, but the skills of Lunn and Bacon finally proved too much for Brett Whaley’s team.

Whaley, the former March boss, had no qualms about the result but was not happy with the two penalty decisions which the referee looked to have got wrong.

Wisbech: Lea Jordan, Neal Spafford, Jon Fairweather, Paul Cousins, Stacy Cartwright; Rogan McGeorge, Adam Millson, Steven Reid, Ollie Gale, Chris Bacon, Matt Lunn. Subs used: Scott Johnson, Lewis Clayton, Anthony Reeve.

Att: 286.