White back with a bang

March Town chairman Phil White took charge of the club’s Reserves at Buckden – and the team recorded their first win of the season, 5-1, in the Cambs League Division 1B.

White’s decision to take charge of the reserves for the third time came up trumps. He said: “It was a great result. We’ve struggled with injuries, but we had Gary White and Lee White back, we’ve got a couple of new signings, and other players are coming back. We battered them in the second half against the wind.

“Next week we’ll have seven players coming back at home to Cottenham.”

March lift themselves off the bottom of the table. Scoring were Jermaine Watson 2, Shaun White, Ben Lemmon a penalty after Shaun White was fouled and Lester Smith.

Chatteris Town Res lost at Waterbeach Res 3-2.

Depleted Wisbech St Mary lost their third versus first Senior A Division clash at Sawston 3-0.

Manager Arran Duke said: “It’s been the case of one problem after another this week. We went into this game with 12 players including myself.

“Six players were out injured and one was at work. At half-time the mood changed and we produced a superb performance against an excellent side.

“We can only describe this week as a freak one, and we hope to have five of the seven back next week.”

Saints went two down after 30 minutes, and then just before the break goalkeeper Scott Benton brought down a Sawston forward and was sent off. Sawston converted the penalty.

It means Sawston are in second, with five games in hand and three points behind Saints.

Wisbech Town Reserves lost at Soham Town Rangers Res 6-0. Wimblington sit next to basement side Wisbech Res after a 4-1 home defeat to Castle Camps.

Division 2B leaders Manea United are back to winning ways with a 2-0 triumph at home to Godmanchester Rovers Res.

Doddington United won 4-0 at Isleham United thanks to a Gary Smith hat-trick and Michael Anderton.

Jack Mockford’s double was not enough for Wisbech St Mary Res at Witchford 96, losing 4-2. March Rangers lost at Over Sports Res 4-0 while Tydd United suffered defeat at Sutton United 6-1.

Wisbech St Mary A maintained their Division 3B top five ambitions with a 2-1 victory at Estover Park. Estover Park took the lead after 20 minutes when Martin Circla’s cross was turned in by Greg Kudyba, with Richard Peachey and Dan Smethurst going close. Jamie Cobbin was on target for Saints, whose winner came when Park’s Martin Chapman slipped.

Wimblington Res went down at Brampton Res 2-1.

In Division 4B, Chatteris Town A went top by two points following a 4-1 home win over Wisbech St Mary B, for whom Gary Wilmott replied. Chatteris A won 4-1 (Dan Hennessey 3 and Kev Manshipp) displaced previous leaders Benwick who lost by a solitary goal to Elsworth Sports.

Chatteris first team captain Stuart Porter, who watched the game because the seniors were without a fixture, said the ‘A’ side were always in control, adding: “Many could play in the first team.”

In Division 5D, Coldham United moved up to second place after their 2-1 defeat of Estover Park Res.

After falling behind to an early goal, Elliot Vanhinsbergh levelled with a free-kick from 25 yds. Keeper Luke Woodbridge was the Coldham hero after keeping out a penalty and then five minutes later making a point-blank save before defender Robinson powered his way through to score from close range in the 85th minute.

Daniel Buzzard was on target for Outwell Swifts Res in their 1-1 stalemate with March Rangers Res, while David Saunders was the Wisbech St Mary C marksman in a 5-1 home loss to Chatteris Fen Tigers, who sit in fourth spot two points behind third-place Saints.

Manea United Res won 3-1 at Doddington United Res, while Northend had a home walkover versus Walsoken United, who were unable to raise a team.

l Outwell Swifts’ secretary is calling for more commitment following an embarrassing weekend.

With no Senior B fixture scheduled they were rearranged to play away with just seven days’ notice. Most of the first team were away and the regular reserves were not confident to make a big leap.

The first team manager was also away and reserve team manager Clayton Payne made a scratch team just to fulfil the fixture which they lost 19-0 to Fulbourn.

Outwell Swifts have had a team in a high standard of football for many years and anyone who feels they could contribute to the survival of the club please contact Dave Rawson at davidrawson1@btinternet.com