Wimblington look to build on first win

Wimblington have finally recorded their first win at the 10th attempt this season beating Fulbourn Institute Reserves 2-1 in Cambs Senior B on Saturday.

The three points were enough to take them up to third from bottom and came against a side who had already beaten them twice in cup games recently.

Liam Fox gave Wimblington the lead after just five minutes and they missed further chances before Matty Ridgway made it 2-0.

Wimblington were unfortunate to have two goals ruled out for debatable offside decisions but defended well after the break.

Another goal was flagged offside before Fulbourn scored in the last 10 minutes, but the home side held out well for a deserved win.

Manager Dean Stacy commented: “It was a good solid performance although to be honest it has been coming in the last couple of games. Hopefully we can kick on and start to climb the table.”

Chatteris Town however are still looking for their first victory as they suffered a 5-0 home defeat against Foxton in the Premier Division.

The Lilies competed really well against third placed Foxton in the first half. They went 1-0 down after a goalkeeping error by Jack McKeown, but then missed a chance of an equaliser with a poorly struck penalty by Carlos Castellas.

And soon after another mistake by McKeown led to a second Foxton goal and Chatteris heads went down.

They conceded three more goals after the break before Ben Matthews was sent off with a second yellow card.

Manager Steve Bright said: “It was a really keenly contested first half and we have done well but the second goal was a killer for us and missing the penalty.

“It was a very harsh decision to send Ben off, but the referee was being assessed and it seems all common sense had gone then. We had the same referee not long ago and he was very good, but not today.

“We have to keep plugging away and should have Dean Saunders and Simon Howard back next week.”

Wisbech St Mary moved into sixth place in the table with a 2-0 win at Brampton. Jack Mockford gave them a first half lead turning a Ricky Gunns cross into the net and Simon Bates added a second in the last 10 minutes.

Manager Arran Duke said: “It was one of our better performances in a scrappy game due to the conditions. We were always in control and look back on track.”

March Town Reserves and Manea both suffered defeats in Division 1B. March lost 4-0 at Huntingdon RGE and Manea went down 1-0 at Somersham.

Doddington however returned to form with a 3-2 win against second placed Earith. The goals came from Lee Barnett, James Harness and an own goal.

Estover Park thumped Benwick Athletic 7-0 in Cambs League 3b. Gareth Puleston hit a hat-trick and other goals came from Richard Peachey 2, Jack Cunnington and Shane Knight. Park are three points behind WSM A with two games in hand.

Division 2B: Bar Hill 14, Tydd United 0; Bluntisham 1, March Rangers 2; WSM Res 3, Milton Res 3.

Division 3B: Benwick 0, Estover Park 7; WSM A 3, Wimblington Res 2.

Division 4B; Haddenham 1, WSM B 5, Soham United Res 12, Chatteris A 2, Wicken 2, Doddington Res 6.

Division 5D: Doddington A 1, Chatteris Fen Tigers 3; Earith Res 5, March Saracens 2; Littleport A 2, Gorefield 1; Manea Res 1, Wimblington A 2; Walsoken 3, March Rangers Res 9; WSM C 2, Upwell 1.