Wimblington sticking to their new year resolution

WIMBLINGTON are determined to enjoy a better second half to the season in Cambs League’s Senior A after ending the year in second from bottom in the table.

They showed that they really mean business in their opening game of 2012 on Saturday with a well deserved 3-1 win against Girton United for only their third win of the season.

Wimblington dominated play early on and Paul Shafer gave them the lead after 20 minutes but Girton equalised almost on the stroke of half-time.

After the break Dean Stacey’s side continued to enjoy the major possession and Matty Ridgeway restored the lead before substitute Aaron Setchell made sure of the points with a third goal.

A delighted Stacey said: “That was a much better performance from us and hopefully we can now enjoy a second half to the season.

“We had former March Town goalkeeper Gary Goude making his debut for us and he looks a good signing and hopefully we can sign a midfield player this week too.”

Wisbech St Mary suffered a 1-0 home defeat against Great Paxton and, although they have 32 points, the same as leaders Sawston they have played five games more.

Manager Aaron Duke said: “We failed to take our chances and it cost us in a very scrappy game. We probably had the best of the play but one mistake cost us late on in the game.

“Stuart Ablett made his debut for us and looks to be a strong addition which is what we need to keep pushing until the end of the season.”

Wisbech Town Reserves may be bottom of the table but they are making big strides to retain the William Coad Cup and moved a step closer with a 3-0 win against Cambridge City Reserves at the Fenland Stadium.

Sam Darlow finished off a very good move to give Wisbech the lead in the first half.

After the break Wisbech, who had Mark Jimson and Lewis Thompson running the midfield, added a second goal with a half-volley from Anthony Melton and Simon Jones, who once defended well, added a third goal with a header from a corner.

Outwell Swifts lost 5-2 at home to Senior B leaders Fenstanton with Sean Goodger and Matt Leach scoring the goals.

March Town Reserves paid for some poor luck in front of goal when losing 3-1 at Bluntisham in Division 1B and remain in bottom place.

They trailed 2-0 at half-time and then conceded a third goal from a dubious penalty shortly after the break. Shaun White made it 3-1 and Lee White hit the woodwork.

Doddington United moved into second place in Division 2B courtesy of a goal in the final seconds in a 1-1 draw against Sutton United.

Jock Bedford’s side dominated the game but Sutton took the lead after 75 minutes when a defender’s clearance hit a forward and bounced back into the net.

Lee Barnett came up with the equaliser with a header and there was no time to restart the game.

Bedford said. “This game had all the emotions for us. It would have been a travesty had we not got at least a point but really we should have had all three.

“We had what looked a perfect goal ruled out but we played well and in the end I was just elated that we got the equaliser.”

Leaders Manea United were held to a 3-3 draw by Wisbech St Mary Reserves and have a six-point advantage over Doddington but have played three games more.

Manea boss James Waters was gutted after his side led 3-1 at one point and missed a penalty with the last kick of the game.

Kev Goude gave Manea a 1-0 lead before the break and they led 3-1 with Goude and Danny Waite striking after the break and Shane Miller scoring for Saints.

But the game then turned on two penalties with St Mary’s sub Shaun Simpson scoring from both spot kicks to level the scores.

Goude then had a chance to seal the points and complete his hat-trick from a last minute penalty but hit the post. Saints boss Dave Smith Burchnell was sent off for his protest at the decision.

Waters said: “I’m gutted at dropping two points after we gave away two sloppy penalties.

“I am not sure the first one was a penalty but the second one was. Then we go and miss a penalty to win the game.

“It is still very tight at the top and, apart from Doddington, Witchford and Godmanchester are challengers too.”

March Rangers suffered a 5-1 defeat against Sawston Rovers in the Junior Cup with Robert Kirby scoring the consolation goal.

Tydd United could not raise a side for their match against Godmanchester Reserves and forfeited the points.

Estover Park shared the points in an exciting 5-5 draw against Stretham Hotspur in Division 3B.

Wisbech St Mary A suffered a surprise 4-1 defeat against Mepal and are now 12 points behind leaders Bar Hill and have played one game more.

Other results: Division 4B: WSM B 3, Cottenham 1, Haddenham Rovers 2, Benwick 0. Division 5D: Chatteris Fen Tigers 10, Walsoken 1; Doddington Res 0, March Rangers Res 0; Northend 6, Wimblington A 3; Upwell 0, Coldham 10; WSM C 3, Manea Res 0.