Home   Sport   Article

Freear fires Wisbech winner at Long Sutton

Sport News from the Fenland Citizen, fenlandcitizen.co.uk, @FenlandCit on Twitter
Sport News from the Fenland Citizen, fenlandcitizen.co.uk, @FenlandCit on Twitter

Long Sutton Men 3

Wisbech 4

A highly entertaining hockey derby in blustery conditions got off to a rapid start, with Sutton putting the pressure on.

Wisbech took the lead with Sam Blunt converting after good work from Dan Martell and Tom Culshaw, but Sutton came back and equalised from a short corner as Fyson found the bottom left corner.

Blunt scored an excellent reverse stick strike to ensure that Wisbech went in at half-time 2-1 up.

In the second half, Sutton started the stronger and went 3-2 up. A good cross by Featherstone picked out Sisson in the centre who lifted the ball over the diving keeper; while Harrison found Fyson on the edge of the D, who struck a powerful reverse stick shot.

Wisbech were not disheartened and continued to create chances, hitting the bar and post, but the game turned as Wisbech won a penalty flick, which was converted by Will Denny. Wisbech won a short corner with 15 seconds to go and Gary Freear was the match winner, diving in at the far post to deflect in.

Wisbech man of the match: Dan Crossley.

Wisbech first team dedicate their win to Jordan Trundle who went to hospital with a nasty looking injury.

Wisbech Men play in the East Indoor Competition at UEA next weekend. Games will start again after Christmas.

Wisbech 2nds 3 Long Sutton 1

After losing away at Long Sutton in the first match of the season, the hosts gained revenge.

Wisbech dominated the first 20 minutes, scoring twice before Sutton applied the pressure. Some solid defending from the backs and keeper kept Wisbech in front until half-time and the talk from captain Paul Lawrence at the break was all positive.

Long Sutton came out fighting in the second half and despite numerous attacks only scored once with a deflected shot. Wisbech dug in and grabbed the third 10 minutes from the end to finish the job. Wisbech scorers were Lawrence, Danny Haynes and Matt Pooley.

Wisbech MoM: keeper Bill ‘Wom’ Garner.

Wisbech Men’s 3rds 1 City of Peterborough 7ths 2

Wisbech play again on December 19 at home to St Ives 3rds, 1pm push back.

Wisbech Men’s 4ths 0 Alford & District 9

Wisbech looked a more organised team despite the scoreline. Joss Calderbank made some great saves and James Hodkinson worked hard in midfield.

MoM: Nigel Lowe.

Next week Wisbech are home to Cambs South Men’s 4ths, 4pm.

Next week the Ladies 1sts are home to Saffron Walden Ladies 1sts, 1pm.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 0 Cambs Uni 2nds 3

The youthful opposition showed why they have steadily climbed the table to second place and Wisbech found themselves 2-0 down half way through the first half.

Wisbech came close with a few opportunities and everyone played their part in keeping a clean sheet in the second half. A special mention to Sam Pritchard on the forward line and also to Rosie Stevenson in goal.

PoM: Jodi Peggs.

Next weekend is the re-arranged game at home to Alford, 2:30 start.

Wisbech Ladies 3rds 0 Horncastle 1

Good passing and communication allowed the team to hold off the second place opposition until half-time, despite captain Kate Stevenson being injured after 20 minutes.

Brilliant skills from midfielder Jane Littlechild ensured Wisbech could make many attacks.

PoM: Harriett Bateman.

Next weekend: home to Spilsby Ladies, 11:30.

Wisbech Badgers are back in action and will play March Town at home, 10am.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More