Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Long Sutton Hockey Club's men's 1st team earned a hard-fought draw with Peterborough 4s

More news, no ads


Long Sutton Hockey Club's men's 1st team earned their first away point of the season as they battled to a hard-fought draw against Peterborough 4s.

On a wet and windy day, Sutton's squad was severely depleted and they lost another man just 30 minutes before kick-off.

However, they still started brightly and took the game to their hosts, and it wasn't long until the notched the first goal of the game.

Longs Sutton Hockey Club's men's 1st team
Longs Sutton Hockey Club's men's 1st team

Josh Fyson managed to fire home from a tight angle to break the deadlock, and just two minutes later Josh Baker scored from a similar position to double their advantage.

With the crowd silenced, the first half would be dominated by the away side - with Baker and Proctor Sargeant going close.

However, Peterborough grabbed a goal back just before the break after picking up a loose ball and finishing high into the roof of the net.

The second period was something of a disjointed affair, with Sutton aggrieved at a number of refereeing decisions.

With tempers rising, Sargeant and Baker both spent time on the sidelines after being ordered off by the official.

The pressure quickly mounted on the travelling side's legs, and they were now spending much more time defending than they were attacking.

After a series of unfortunate circumstances, Peterborough both equalised and then quickly took the lead.

With just four minutes left on the clock, however, Sutton increased their sense of urgency and implemented a high press.

They were rewarded when a retaken short corner found Fyson, who calmly flicked the ball into the backboard to make it 3-3 and earn a draw.

It was a hard-earned point for the away team, who now look forward to a trip to Spalding next week.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More