March beat leaders and the rain

March Town beat both their unbeaten opposition and the weather, finishing their Cambs Tucker Premier League Division One game at Ramsey before 6pm with a four-wicket victory.

A midweek break in Budapest worked wonders for Steve Seymour and captain Chris Ringham, who ran through table-toppers Ramsey with four wickets apiece, having asked them to bat first.

The Aussie bagged 4-37, while Ringham snared his first scalps in 11 months after breaking a finger, to finish with 4-29.

Ringham said the win was a “massive boost, especially with other teams having been rained off,” adding: “Because we bowled them out for 91 there was no tea break and a quick change-around. I’m very happy with that. It rained straight after the game.”

Left-arm slow bowler James Harradine (2-20)also picked up two wickets in his last over.

In-form 20-year-old opener David Hodson scored 42 off 40 deliveries, featuring in an opening stand of 50 with Tommy Howgego, and was the only batsman to look comfortable in the conditions according to Ringham.

“David probably won us the game today,” he added.

The visitors lost three wickets for two runs at one stage, Seymour for 0. Neale-Wade student Sam Rippington bagged 4-16 for Ramsey, as 10 not out from Harradine took March to 93-6 in the 24th over to collect 20 points.

Next March host Godmanchester, who played Wisbech last weekend.

The 2nd Xl were defeated in CCA Senior League Division 1 against Cambridge Granta 2nd Xl by six wickets at The Avenue.

Skipper John Wallis (27) again top-scored while the hosts were made to pay for rash shots, as they made 117 all out in between the showers. David Haslegrave (20) was the other main scorer.

Stuart Mills bowled well without luck, with off-spinner Richard Green picking up 2-45 in Granta’s 117-4 reply.

The 4th Xl slumped to a CCA Junior League Division 4N defeat at The Neale-Wade, as visitors Soham racked up a massive 338-6.

Skipper for the day Glen Hulley claimed 3-105 and Ashley Payne 2-49. March were skittled for 66, with Dennis Furnell making 24.

Both Sunday matches were abandoned through rain: the 1st Xl making 100-6 against Wisbech in Rutland League Division 1 and the 2nd Xl claiming nine wickets at Chatteris in the Fenland Trophy.