Home   Sport   Article

March seal a second successive promotion

Sport News from the Fenland Citizen, fenlandcitizen.co.uk, @FenlandCit on Twitter
Sport News from the Fenland Citizen, fenlandcitizen.co.uk, @FenlandCit on Twitter

East Men’s League 2N

Ipswich 2nd 4,

March Town 5

March travelled to Ipswich knowing that a point or more would seal back-to-back promotions.

Within a few minutes March knew they were playing against a vastly strengthened team.

March were pressing high against a nervous defence which paid dividends with Ash Welland scoring a screamer on his reverse.

March doubled the lead quickly with an interception from Mat Bamford who fed Welland in to David Hodson who slotted home.

Ipswich brought it back to 2-2 going in to half-time but had a player yellow carded for a tackle on March’s Jacob Fraser.

March returned and quickly scored their third and fourth goals from David Haslegrave and a Jamie Impey flick. Ipswich replied but Ben Wright deflected in a vicious strike from James Mansfield to make it 5-3.

Ipswich piled on the pressure in the last 10 minutes causing Fraser and Hodson to receive yellow cards.

Ipswich scored a consolation but March held on with fine saves from Matt Lynn and tireless work from Daniel Shirley.

East Men’s League 5NW

March Town 2nd 10,

Alford & District 2nd 0

March played well in the first half with Charlie Boughton quickly getting a first goal.

March scored a further five goals with great defending from John Mair, Tony Manzea and Hugh Whittome.

March continued their good game in the second half, the pick of the goals being Toby Odlin with a drag flick to the top left corner.

Goals: Charlie Boughton (3), Jack Nisbet (2), Hugh Whittome (2), Ben Sole, Toby Odlin, Jordan Hilliard. Man of the match: Ben Sole.

Next weekend March travel to Cambridge South 4ths.

East Women’s League 3NW(S)

March Town 1,

St Ives 2nd 4

The ladies started off well and possession was fairly even.

St Ives secured the first goal. March retaliated quickly with some great work up the pitch, and Carly Stevenson beat the keeper. With some disputed umpiring decisions, St Ives netted twice more in the first half.

St Ives came out strong in the second half and scored their fourth goal quickly. March had numerous chances, but the opposing keeper was too strong.

PoM: captain Lorna Larham.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More