Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech Walking Footballers produce mixed bag of results

More news, no ads


Wisbech Walking Footballers embarked on another journey to Peterborough for the latest round of the PDFL.

Yellows were first up, taking on Hampton. They took the lead through a Simon Gant strike early in the game, but Hampton equalised before the break and then went 3-1 up in the second half. Paul Verbrugge scored to narrow the deficit but Hampton managed to score again before full time to record a 4-2 win.

In the second game against Market Harborough Reds, Wisbech went 1-0 down early on, but a goal apiece from Verbrugge and Steve Collis put Wisbech in command of the game at half time. Harborough again scored early in the second half to level the game up. Verbrugge was on target again to give the yellows a slender lead. Then the goal of the day came from Collis who dribbled past a couple of defenders and slid the ball home to seal a 4-2 win.

Wisbech Walking Football
Wisbech Walking Football

Wisbech Reds started the day off with a game against South Lincs Steelers.After going 1-0 down, Scott Sawers levelled up before Steelers scored again to lead 2-1 at the break.

Will Barrett came on for Ben Baylis at half time and it wasn’t long before Sawers was again on target with an accurate low driven goal to level the game up. Rich Mellor then came up with one of his trademark dribbles past the opposition defence and slotted the ball home to give the Reds a 3-2 win.

The game was marred by an alleged racist comment from an opposition player which has been reported to the league.

The Reds’ next opponents were Norwich City A, who took the lead through a deflected shot which wrong footed Wisbech keeper Knight and at half time the Fenmen were 1-0 down.

The second half saw the City keeper continue his first half form by pulling off some great saves, and Norwich scored two break away goals to record Wisbech’s second defeat of the season.

Manager Jonny Pearce said: “It was a mixed day for both teams. I wasn’t happy with the first game for the Yellows, but credit to them in the second game – they were much better and gave me the response I wanted and expected from them.

“The Reds showed their quality in both games. In the first game we were lucky enough to get away with a couple of errors that led to goals by having a striker on fine form and in the second game it’s fair to say we did everything right bar score past an in form keeper.

“I think we could have played all day and not scored past him. We wanted better quality in the league and we have that.

“There are no easy games any more. Every week we have to be on our A game. If not we get punished. It’s ruthless but we are enjoying it and love the new challenges that brings.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More