Blunt maintains winning start

Wisbech 1st 4, Colchester 3

TOP played bottom in East Premier B but it was difficult to tell who was who for much of this see-saw clash.

Wisbech started well but failed to capitalise on this superiority and the game remained goalless.

Colchester were content to defend and catch Wisbech on the break. It looked a good tactic before a small scramble in front of the Colchester goal saw James Mansfield stab the ball in from close range.

Dan Martell cut through the defence like a hot knife through butter but sadly his finishing was less than lukewarm.

Wisbech felt confident that they would overwhelm their visitors in the second half but were in for a shock. An early equaliser from a short corner brought them level. Both sides lost a player to a yellow card and Wisbech paid more heavily as Colchester scored two quick goals for a 3-1 lead. A goal line clearance from Ben Allsop and a point blank save from James Sheppard kept Wisbech in the game.

Martell pulled a goal back and although the Colchester goalkeeper was still in fine form a good finish from Gary Freear secured the equaliser.

Wisbech’s 100 per cent start to the season was in severe jeopardy until Sam Blunt got the ball in the circle, went by the goalkeeper and coolly finished.

In the next fixture Wisbech visit City of Peterborough.

Rutland 1st 4, Wisbech 2nd 4

Wisbech earned a good away point against in this rollercoaster of a game.

They took the lead when Jason Esser reacted smartly to deflect in Matt Goodwin’s wayward penalty corner strike but Rutland then ran riot, scoring at will to make the half-time score 4-1. In the second half Wisbech showed the team spirit that has been lacking in previous seasons, with Hugo Atkins scoring twice and Goodwin once to level.

Both teams saw their 100 per cent win record gone, but both were happy to remain unbeaten.

On Saturday Wisbech host Alford and District 1st at 4pm.

Dereham 4, Wisbech Ladies 1

Wisbech’s unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday at Dereham, who were also relegated from the Premier Division last season.

Wisbech had numerous chances in open play and with short corners, but Dereham’s attacks came in waves and they were two goals up by the break. Wisbech dominated in the second half and were rewarded when Hannah Strickle coolly slotted away her first senior goal. It looked like a draw could be in easy reach as Lisa Williamson hit the crossbar and numerous other chances went begging, but Dereham pounced on these missed opportunities and, against the run of play, converted two short corners.

Player of the match: Katie Rodger.

Wisbech host Bury St Edmunds in the next fixture.

Wisbech Ladies 2nd 3,

Cambs University 3rd 2

Wisbech put in their best display of the season to move up to second in the Cambridgeshire Ladies Premier League.

Playing their familiar sweeper formation the ladies took the lead with a powerful short corner conversion by Emma Baker. Georgie Woolmer and Emily Brooker, player of the match, stuck to their players like limpets. Lou Sandall notched up the second goal from another short corner routine which worked and Marly Lawson bagged the third goal 15 minutes from the final whistle.

Wisbech play Oundle at home on Saturday at 2.30pm. Training on the Harecroft Road astro is every Tuesday at 6.30; see the club website