Defeat could shatter promotion hope

Ford 1sts 4, March 1st 2

MARCH’S promotion hopes were dealt a massive blow at North London outfit Ford on Saturday as they let lacklustre finishing and defending creep in.

They began the brighter of the two sides and had good early chances, which they narrowly missed out on converting. Ford’s play was very direct and March conceded all four goals from a massive heave up front from the Londoners’ centre back.

The first was a long ball to Ford’s left winger who exchanged a one-two with the centre forward and they danced their way around Simon Coe in goal to score.

Their second came from a short corner that was won from a long ball from the back. March pulled a goal back just before half-time when good work from Rob Mitchell down the right resulted in a Ford defender playing into his own goal.

Ford extended their lead to 3-1 after the break when their centre back rifled a shot from a short corner that found its way under the body of Coe.

March could see their promotion hopes fading away but didn’t give in. Ed Batt reduced the arrears with a well-taken goal from a short corner that inspired a passage of play where March could have scored with a series of short corners with Joel Gilmour flicking against the keeper’s pads, Batt hitting the post, defenders deflecting wide and all sorts.

The ball just wouldn’t go in and Ford put the game beyond doubt with a breakaway goal which leaves March in fourth spot.

March must now win their two games next weekend and hope results go their way. They take on Upminster in London on Saturday and Bedford at home on Sunday 2.30pm. All support is welcomed for the final game of the season.

Alford 1st 7, March 2nds 4

The game proceeded at an alarming pace with both sides playing open hockey and creating chances.

March entered half time 3-2 down. After a robust half-time team talk, they rallied for the second half and March went for the win. However with pushing forward gaps were left open at the back and Alford won 7-4.

Goals came from Stu Mills and a hat-trick from man of the match Charlie Boughton.

March 3rds 7, Bourne Deeping 4

March started the game brightly, knowing a win would take them into the promotion places, and soon raced into a 2-0 lead courtesy of goals from James Fountain and Jody Betts.

However March became complacent and let Bourne back into the game with three strikes from short corners to go in at half time 3-2 behind.

After the break March respond-ed well and soon got level thanks to Fountain’s second goal of the game. March again let the game slip and went behind for a second time, however after this March dominated the final 20 minutes of the match and took full control.

March scored the final four goals with some pulsating hockey allowing Betts to score two further goals to complete his hat-trick, Daniel Woods with a fine individual goal and Fountain also scoring his 32nd league goal of the season.

Despite going behind twice, March put in a strong team performance and much credit goes to James Fisher and Dan Woods for working hard in the midfield.

March have one further game versus Louth to seal promotion.