Derby demolition to keep dreams alive

Wisbech 1st 6,

Long Sutton 1st 0

Wisbech kept their promotion dreams on track and made it seven successive wins with a 6-0 hammering of their local rivals at Harecroft Road.

Early chances fell to both sides but James Sheppard in the Wisbech goal was in fine form once again and the Sutton keeper also made some good early saves.

The deadlock was broken when a swift counter attack was finished by the returning Ed Batt after an unselfish pass from Sam Markillie. Wisbech doubled their lead moments later when Markillie turned scorer after being found at the far post from a Brad Apted pass at a penalty corner.

Apted then provided the magic touch when he scythed a signature reverse stick strike into the bottom corner of the Sutton goal to make it 3-0.

Wisbech’s penalty corners have been exceptional so far this season and Gavin Johnstone finished off a well worked routine, sweeping the ball in from a pinpoint Apted pass.

The second half began as second halves normally do after one side dominates the first, with Sutton coming out fighting and looking to get themselves back into the game, however the experienced Wisbech back line had no troubles with mopping up any potential threats and Ben Allsop must be praised for a string of goal line clearances from Sutton penalty corners.

Wisbech added further goals from Apted, after a fantastic team build up, and Sam Blunt.

Wisbech travel to Norwich on Saturday looking to make it eight wins, push back at the Taverham High School Astroturf is 2.30pm.

Cambridge South 1st 2, Wisbech Town 2nds 3

Wisbech snatched a win with a late goal and leapfrogged Cambridge South 1 to go top of the table.

The team failed to produce the quality hockey of previous weeks, but scored three goals at critical times.

They started brightly, but soon found themselves limited to counter attacks as Cambs South began to control possession.

Wisbech took the lead when the Cambs keeper blocked a shot, only for Matt Goodwin to calmly collect the rebound and lift the ball into the net. Despite the home team’s dominance.

The second half continued in a similar vein to the first, but again Wisbech pinched a vital goal. Full back Matt Pooley burst through on the right to set up Hugo Atkins for a trademark low reverse stick finish.

However, the goal only seemed to spur Cambs South into redoubling their efforts. The home team took control and equalised.

Then came the twist five minutes from time, Cambs South had gone all out for the win and their legs were gone. Ed Hutley fired a fierce drive into the Cambs South goalmouth and Gary Freear dived to deflect the ball into the goal.

On Saturday Wisbech host Cambridge Nomads 2 at 2.30pm.

Wisbech 3rds 2,

City of Peterborough 5ths 1

It was never going to be an easy game as Wisbech were at home this week to a team just one place below them in the league.

Both teams attacked strongly, looking dangerous on the break.

Wisbech seemed to settle first and tighten up the defence giving them plenty of chances to make mischief at the front and ultimately resulting in the first goal from Richard Claxton.

Unfortunately the score was quickly levelled as Wisbech conceded a soft goal from an unfortunate deflection.

The second half was tightly contested again, but Wisbech seemed to have the balance of play and were eventually rewarded with a late winner as Turner finished a breakaway play from Claxton.