Dubious penalty hits March’s hopes of scalp

Share this article

Cambridge City 2nd 3,

March Town 1st 3

March came home with a very well gained point against a side who are unbeaten so far this season.

The encounter began relatively evenly with both sides enjoying spats of possession with little or no threat on each other’s goals, but with a seemingly clear run on goal, the Cambridge centre forward was brought down by James Mansfield and they duly scored from the resulting short corner.

The lead was doubled almost immediately when more slick passing opened up March and an emphatic finish to make it 2-0.

Rob Mitchell had a fantastic chance to pull one back just before half-time when he conjured some space at the top of the D, but flashed a shot wide.

March improved after the break and began to zip the ball across the field with consummate ease through Ash Welland, Ed Batt and Joel Gilmour. Scotty Welcher was set up to score March’s first goal.

Batt and Grant Gilmour found themselves with a two on one moments later in which a short corner was the result.

Welland’s low flick was halted on the line by a foot and Gilmour drilled the ball home to make it 2-2.

March were now by far the better side and all over a panicking City team.

Batt found Gilmour unmarked at the far post who slid the ball under the advancing keeper for Welland to cap his performance with a potential winning goal.

Unfortunately City were awarded a highly dubious penalty corner when the ball struck Richard West a yard outside the D. Typically, City scored and the game fizzled out into a draw.

March 2nd 6, Horncastle 0

An important win for March with Horncastle residing one place above them in the table.

The home side started stronger and crafted chances right from the first five minutes and didn’t take long to open the scoring thanks to Dan Shirley.

The first half continued with March keeping possession and two further goals from Jodi Betts and Gary Howsam.

Nick King added a further goal with a strike from the top of the D. Then Shirley struck twice more to complete a hat-trick and earn man of the match.

This week March travel away to Boston.

Spalding 3rds 4,

March Town 3rd 2

March began slowly and went 1-0 down within the first five minutes.

After this March raised their game and got back into it with a short corner goal from James Fountain. March continued to dominate until Martin Todd received a yellow card for retaliation towards a Spalding player.

After the break Spalding were award a highly contested penalty flick and Spalding went 2-1 up and then took further control to add a third goal.

Fountain then scored his 27th league goal of the season to bring March back into it. Spalding scored towards the end to make it 4-2.

Scott Bamford in the March goal made a string of fine saves in both halves and the rest of the team played well and did not deserve to lose.

This Saturday March host league leaders Louth at 1pm.