Edged out after brave show

Share this article

Wisbech lst 2, Norwich City 3

NORWICH took the points in this exciting and well contested NE14 Hockey East Premier B clash, just edging out Wisbech who put in a brave performance.

Norwich started much the better and Wisbech struggled to cope, It was no surprise when Norwich took an early lead when a run along the right saw Wisbech miss three tackles and Norwich convert from close range. It was almost 2-0 from a short corner within minutes but Al Hanrahan cleared well on the line.

Wisbech found their feet and despite having three players unavailable began to threaten Norwich. Brad Apted went close and the feeling of the game changed as a Wisbech equaliser was looking increasingly likely.

Gary Freear received the ball in the circle and held it up well, passing to David Wood who saw his shot saved but Matthew Levanda was on hand to lift the rebound into the net.

Wisbech finished the first half the stronger side but Norwich were still a constant threat and won a number of short corners which Wisbech defended well.

Norwich were probably just the better side in the second half and Wisbech’s main threat was on the break.

It was Wisbech, though, who took the lead when a short corner broke to Joe Melton who finished well.

Wisbech had to absorb a great amount of pressure for the rest of the half and did so admirably until the last 10 minutes. Norwich won yet another short corner and converted to equalise. Both sides would have settled for a draw but it was Norwich who won it with a late goal.

Throughout the game Norwich had played long airborne balls which Wisbech had dealt with at ease. This time the ball got through and Norwich scored the winner.

On Saturday Wisbech visit Cambridge Univesity II (1.30)

Cambridge South lst 2,

Wisbech 2nd 1

POSSESSION and chances were shared evenly between the teams in the first half, but it was top-of-the-league Cambs who took the lead with a fine individual goal. After an excellent series of passes, James Turner scored early in the second half to bring Wisbech level.

There was nothing between the sides, until Cambs were able to apply some sustained pressure and score after a succession of penalty corners. Wisbech came back, forcing Cambs to defend until the final whistle, but couldn’t find another equaliser. What is important now is that Wisbech carry this type of spirited team performance into their next two games against other teams near the bottom of the league.

Wisbech: S Freear, S Claxton, R Parker, S Dunn, J Trundle, M Pooley, M Littlechild, L Peck, P Norman, J Turner, Hugo Atkins

Wisbech 3rd 2,

Cambridge Nomads 2nd 4

NOMADS attacked with pace and skill to create several early opportunities, and they took the lead from a penalty corner, which maybe was a little harsh on Wisbech.

This woke the home side up and they started to pass the ball around and play some very good hockey, none better than their first goal which a top move ended with Sam Portham crossing the ball from the right and Richard Claxton slotted in.

Just before half time Wisbech took the lead with a deflected effort from Adam Thomas, but straight from the push back Nomads made it 2-2 on the whistle of half time. In the second half Nomads dominated midfield and created several chances scoring two goals both from penalty corners.

At 2-2 Wisbech had a golden opportunity when Portham slotted just wide and the 3rds ended the game disappointed, but Ivan Burgess was again in fine form winning his second consecutive man of the match.