Fiercely-fought first’s victory

Harleston Magpies 1,

Wisbech 1st 2

THIS was a fiercly-fought win for Wisbech in a match played on a modern water-based surface loved by attackers and loathed by defenders.

Harleston took the lead after some sloppy defending, but the fitness of the visitors was clear to see and numerous short corners were won and it was from one of these that Gav Johnstone equalised for Wisbech.

More flowing attacks and short corners ensued for the visitors and Blunt scored five minutes before half time, with a drag flick which took a deflection on its way into the bottom corner.

The umpires had their work cut out in the second half with a few tackles going awry. Johnstone and Ed Batt were given warnings for dissent, with Johnstone picking up a green card for his troubles; Blunt for retaliation and James Mansfield for a late tackle were both shown yellow cards.

Wisbech were denied a third goal when Blunt was thwarted by an in-form Harleston keeper.

The home side piled on pressure for an equaliser but stoic defending from Jonathan Shippey, Joe Melton, Ben Allsop and Sam Dunn kept them at bay. With minutes to go, Harleston had a penalty 
flick and the shot hit the left hand post.

Wisbech next take on 
Havering at Harecroft Road, 2.30pm start.

City of Peterborough 5th 0, Wisbech 2nd 1

WISBECH travelled with a bare 11 players, but soon began to dominate possession. However, Wisbech found it difficult to convert possession into goal scoring opportunities and Peterborough threatened on the counter-attack.

Wisbech’s best chances came from a Charlie Baxter penalty corner strike superbly saved by the Peterborough goalkeeper and a Hugo Atkins reverse stick shot that went over the bar. Last week’s two-goal hero, Matt Goodwin, enjoyed a number of mazy dribbles, but was consistently crowded out by the Peterborough defence.

The breakthrough came early in the second half when Goodwin and Atkins combined for Atkins to score. From then on Wisbech played patient passing hockey, tiring and frustrating their opponents for a well-deserved, hard fought victory, typified by a man-of-the-match performance from Jordan Trundle.

Wisbech 3rd 3, 
Cambs Nomads 2nd 0

WISBECH looked in command from the start and took the lead through Tim Drew from a penalty corner after the Cambs goalkeeper parried a Tim Atkins shot.

The second half started more evenly as Wisbech had to adjust after Cambs changed their formation in midfield. Wisbech started passing really well and this created pressure that led to an own goal after Tom Drew fired a ball into the Cambs circle that took a deflection from a defender and under the new rule change this season allowed the umpire to award a goal.

While the game was safe, Wisbech made sure when Eliott Peck scored the third goal as the game went from end to end.

Wisbech Ladies 1st 1

Harleston Magpies 2nd 1

WISBECH started very brightly, building up play well from the back, and took an early lead when Georgie Dunn calmly slotted home. Wisbech continued to press until near half time when Harleston found a renewed vigour.

After the restart, Harleston pressed hard and reaped the rewards with an equaliser. The game continued in an end-to-end style, with both teams having their chances.

Players of the match 
were Georgie Dunn and Alysha Moat.

City of Peterborough 4ths 3, Wisbech Ladies 3rds 1

A NEW formation saw Wisbech make a unsettled start and put under pressure by a strong Peterborough attack. Wisbech held out until midway through the first half when they conceded the first of three well-worked goals from Peterborough.

Wisbech gathered themselves at half time and with a much-improved display created several chances. A series of short corners saw Wisbech get a well-deserved goal through Jane Littlechild. Player of the match Emily Brown controlled the midfield well and set up many chances that nearly pulled the deficit back.