Five-star display helps Wisbech make a winning return

Cambridge University 2nds 1, Wisbech 5

Wisbech returned to East Premier B action with victory in a game of four quarters.

The students made the better start and wasted a couple of good early chances.

Wisbech spent the first 15 minutes conceding possession far too easily, but thought they had taken the lead from their first short corner. Although Gav Johnstone’s effort was ruled out Wisbech seemed to raise their game and play with confidence and dominated the rest of the half.

Brad Apted went on a positive run, weaving through the middle. His shot was wickedly deflected and looped over the keeper and into the goal.

Johnstone did get himself on the scoresheet after some good work from Sam Markille at a short corner. Aaron Cobb made it three with a feather of a touch which was so slight the umpire did well to notice.

Cambridge were again the better side as the second half began. Wisbech defended resolutely and Matt Levanda was once again outstanding. The students finally broke through catching Wisbech on the break.

Wisbech were once more spurred into action and finished the game much the stronger team. The ball found its way to Dan Martell at a short corner and he supplied a cool close range finish to settle any lingering nerves.

Sam Blunt scored the goal of the day, ignoring everyone around him as he squirmed through a seemingly invisible gap and smashed the ball into the net.

On Saturday Wisbech host promotion chasing City of Peterborough II (2.30).

Wisbech 3rds 3, Ely 2nds 2

Wisbech started the scoring through a good cross from Jack Bass being put home by Sam Darlow early in the game.

The second goal was scored by Hugo Atkins after some good Wisbech passing. Ely were able to score one goal before half-time, but Wisbech should have been out of sight after dominating the half.

The second half was more even however Wisbech scored another goal, but it was a scrambled goal line affair which Atkins put home from at least a metre out.

Ely came back strongly scoring one more goal but Wisbech managed to put the shutters up.

This week they are away to Bourne-Deeping 11.30am start.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 1, Spalding 2

Spalding opened strongly, dominating play and putting Wisbech under pressure.

Wisbech’s defence remained strong, with Ali Mason, Emily Wagstaffe and Lou Sandall working well together. They then took full advantage of an attaching break after 10 minutes when Katie Dunn (pom) drove fast out of defence, passing to Emma Baker, who crossed the ball to Marly Lawson to sweep the ball home.

Spalding then pressed Wisbech and an unfortunate umpiring decision gave Spalding a short corner and their equaliser.

Wisbech made several changes at the break and came out strong with Gilly Dunn, Shelly Jones, Laura Overland and Alice Wong linking well in midfield.

Spalding were awarded a controversial short corner in the final five minutes. Alice Murray, goalkeeper, cleared the ball, but it was sent straight back in, only for one of the Spalding attackers to slot it away at the left post.

Junior players Hannah Strickle, Georgie Woolmer, Lawson and Wong gained valuable experience.

March Town’s games were all called off due to the weather.